The First EGGS are Here!!!!...."NOW SHOWING PICS".....

DouglasPeeps

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Colorado
Hurray, Hurray! Yesterday 4 of our chickens laid their first eggs! We were so excited...............and sad at the same time. You see, we left on Sunday to go on vacation. So, we have not seen the eggs yet. We (our family) made a bet that the chickens would wait to start laying until we went out of town. The chickens must have been secretly listening to us, because, they did just what we predicted. So, 4 eggs were laid yesterday and another 4 today!
he.gif

We can't wait to get home and see them for ourselves on Friday!

ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Last edited:
roll.png
Of course the bad news is that we didn't get to collect the first eggs. We have been waiting and waiting........we would have liked to collect the first eggs. It's a chicken thing.......or a chicken lover thing!

ohhh i see.. are u on vacation or somethijg?? well atleast your hens are laying now and u can have some farm fresh eggs
smile.png
but i agree that stinks u couldnt get the first eggs.. mine should start any time !!

Congrats on the new eggs, we have something in common! I went out this morning to feed the goats and chickens and I found our first 2 eggs! I have 2 Ameraucana's, my rooster was the one posted as pet of the week last week.

The eggs are small and light green. However, the hen is not sitting on them and they were cold. Being a novice, I have no idea what proper procedure is to get babies, so let me ask this question, as I am sure someone here can tell me.....

The hen has been hiding from the rooster these past few weeks because he's always trying to get her. So she hangs out on the top shelf inside the nesting area under the pitch of the roof where I used to keep supplies. I had placed a large farm animal feeding bowl inside the larger area below and added some hay, which the rooster quickly took over as his bed. Now I found the eggs in the bowl, but the hen is still hanging out on the top shelf ignoring them.

Am I supposed to separate the hen and the rooster in order for her to lay and hatch eggs? Is my nesting area too big or should I have provided her with a more private box? Both chicks are 20 weeks old (5 months).
Since both eggs are cold I assume they are not going to hatch. I am willing to get an incubator but would really rather her hatch them herself since we live in Florida where it is very warm.

There is no bad news! There is double good news! You will have plenty of eggs for everyone to eat on your first day back home! No waiting and collecting an egg or two a day until there is enough for everyone!
woot.gif

Ok, so we are home now! It is so cool to go outside and get fresh eggs. There were 4 yesterday, but me being the klutz that I am, dropped 3 of them.
roll.png
I am going to need a cute basket to carry them in. DUH!!!

Today I collected 6 eggs! I feel like a kid in a candy store! I think I checked at least 25 times today for eggs! hehe I Love It!!!!!!!

Quote:
That is a good way to look at it. That being said there are 23 fresh eggs in my fridge waiting to be cooked into breakfast burritos! I better get to work. I promised them to everyone for breakfast!

Back
Top Bottom