The flocks first winter

WickedChicksNH

Crowing
Oct 2, 2017
New Hampshire
I have 10 chickens outdoors, 9 out of the 10 has never seen snow before , so they just look outside when I opened the coop and llle nope..
Today i did a little shoveling in the run, they got a little braver and walked part way down ramp.
And wouldn't you know it, the littlest daintist (is that a word? Danty..ist)
One was the first one to brave it.
She is my little polish Daphane

So I start picking each one up and putting them on the ground, and to their surprise the snow wasnt scary at all, so after a week of not wanting to come out of the coop they got to stretch their legs.

I tossed some hay around so they could keep their feet off the snow.
The silkies pretty much were not interested

My girls 2nd dusting

Attachments

• 5D002EE2-F82F-43DF-9FEC-CF1217B98303.png
    5D002EE2-F82F-43DF-9FEC-CF1217B98303.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
My flock does not like the snow at all. We've had 2 1/2 feet of snow so far and another 4 to 6 inches coming in tomorrow. I leave the door to the run open when I'm cleaning the coop but they rarely venture out anymore. The snow has melted, then returned, and melted again and they are not liking it. I even put some butternut squash out in the grass for them and they came out for a quick nibble then ran back to the run.

I think snow depth is the critical issue. A dusting is nothing. A couple feet of powder snow isn't doable for them.
We don't have that much yet but by midnight we'll likely have more than a foot of soft snow they'll sink into.
There are some breeds that do manage on deep snow; the Finnish Landrace and some of the Swedish landrace breeds for examples.
There are also local breeds in Afghanistan and Northern China that are reported to cope well in deep snow.

Back
Top Bottom