chicks417.jpg

First look at 2nd generation Florida.
2 days old.

I've got 14 Florida chicks that turned 6 weeks old today and I'm STILL not sure of the sex of all of them. Although they hatched either black or white, 5 of the 8 white chicks soon turned gold.

hulk417.jpg

Barred Rock genes are SO powerful. They dominate in my Rainbow Rock crossbreed. With these Florida birds, we're now crossing Wingman, a 75% Dixie Rainbow...

wingman114.jpg

back with a 100% Dixie Rainbow...

bigmama1216.jpg

and we're finally seeing Dixie Rainbow traits emerging in the 87% Dixie Rainbow offspring. I weighed a Rainbow Rock hen at 8 pounds 3 ounces yesterday. These Florida Gold pullets will reach 9 or 10 pounds.

He's also breeding true with his white hens but I keep getting hypnotized by the mutants.
Huge 12 pound Dixie Rainbows such as Big Mama there don't seem to be available anymore, for some strange reason unknown to me. I'm hatching Florida White, Florida Black and the Florida Gold. I hatched 5 Gold and I THINK I have 4 females! That is so lucky and will enable me to set up a local breeder with a line of Florida Golds and still keep the two largest pullets as additions to Wingman's flock, producing 81% Dixie Rainbow birds.

wingmanfam126.jpg

Hatched 16 of The Florida yesterday.
This clutch is 6 & 1/2 weeks old and very hard to sex.
Do you see a trio for the 3 Whites in the foreground?
(not the black necked bird)
13530.jpg

I think the dark Gold bird is a roo and I'm pretty sure the other four Gold are pullets.

13530gold.jpg

These are a slow developing breed.

Hatched 221 birds over the last 18 months.
Saw a lot of variations from the mix.
Sold my Rainbow Rock flock.
I didn't get any blues, so I have sold Wingman's black hens.
Big Mama may have stopped laying. She is over 3 and a 1/2 years old.
My priority is to preserve her line so I have removed Wingman's white hens and replaced them with 5 of Big Mama's Gold daughters, at 4 months of age.
I have one more move to go.
I am growing out some Gold roosters and will replace Wingman with one of them.
I am also growing out 6 white pullets, to serve as Wingman's new flock.
So by Winter, I will have a line of Florida Whites and a line of Florida Golds.
https://FloridaGolds.com

After a dead summer, sold $410 in birds in the last 35 days.
Still doesn't pay for the feed.
Once enough people see for themselves how great these birds are, I hope to be able to charge more.

Back
Top Bottom