The Front Porch Swing

HELLO EVERYONE another Jubilee egg today. Just removed a whole truck load of compost from 2 coops and another truck load to go. Then to move out to the soon to be egg layer house.

Last edited:
congrats on the sale and the egg!

yesterday we went to the Monticello Heritage festival. I didn't hear about it in time to get into any of the classes (there was one on growing plants to let your chickens forage for their own food that I REALLY wanted to go to
he.gif
maybe next year...) but it was cool anyway. I sat with the fiber guild people and showed people bobbin lace. Didn't have time to come up with a demonstration board for the kids, though...but something to do for next time. There was alot of interest. They had a section for "backyard revolution" that we were in.

I thought the funniest demonstration was the rail splitting folks who were charging a dollar for kids to come try out splitting logs with mallets and wedges (read: exploiting child labor and charging for it!!!) I bought some shitake mushroom spore plugs and some seeds and a pint of hickory syrup. I intend to someday try making it myself as we have a bunch of hickories, I just need to get off my butt and order the spiles (taps you use to get the sap) Our hickories don't produce palatable nuts anyway so might as well put them to use for something! and the new spiles they make only need a 5/6" hole, so they don't really do a whole lot of damage to the tree.

We are so almost done with the new coop that I could taste it...they just started laying so I had to hustle to build them some nesting boxes and a goat proof feeder underneath, but they still need a goat proof chicken door and the boxes need trimmed out and the husband is sick and napping so I cant run the saw.

barnie.gif
so I am sitting here waiting for him to wake up.

Yay!!!

Murphy's law of chickens, you want a cockerel, you get pullets, you need more pullets, you get cockerels... ah well, such is the lottery we play!!

Yes, I agree luckily we have one pullet who is laying and 3 cockerels so we can have a 2 seperate breeding pens.

We moved the Bielefelders into their new chicken tractor, well 3 of them the other 3 are a little to young.

I'm at home in Illinois.............
big_smile.png
............just kidding TN!
Was watching the Bears with the DH and fell asleep. Woke up to find the game tied,
ep.gif
. I'm making some coffee to help keep me awake for the rest of the game. It is cold and rainy here and too much like late fall........
I did put some eggs under a broody hen
hide.gif
in an effort to hold on to summer!

Back
Top Bottom