The Garden Loft for Eggstraordinary Ladies

Caity

Songster
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Central, NC
Hi All,

We started keeping chickens about six years ago, and we built The Garden Coop then (http://www.thegardencoop.com/ & my post about it http://bit.ly/gardencoopraleigh). It has held us in good stead, but, as happens, we have caught the chicken bug and decided we wanted more hens—and a bigger coop. As it turns out, this was right when the same guy who designed our Garden Coop released the plans for his new, bigger Garden Loft so we went with those (http://bit.ly/gardenloft). We made quite a few changes stylistically, but the bones are all his. The plans were, as last time, awesome, easy-to-follow, and error-free. And….Ta-da!
IMG_3240.jpg
IMG_3177.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

We made several modifications to make our coop more flexible. Our ideal number of hens is 4-6, but it’s not easy to guess exactly when to get the new chicks to keep the numbers consistent, not to mention the headache of merging young pullets with older hens. To make that easier, we essentially divided the Garden Loft into two coops. One side is for the older hens and one for the new flock, until they’re used to each other and can be merged (we'll use temporary netting in the run to keep them separate until they get used to each other). The side for the new flock has removable roosts, so when we’re not merging flocks we can use it to store food/bedding in a perfectly pest-free place. Using it for storage is also why that side has two large doors instead of a pop door—easy access.
IMG_3203.jpg
IMG_3210.jpg

(removable roosts--the little latches come undone and the top board is on a hinge)

In the event some of our older hens hang on longer than expected, the interior wall is also removable so we can open it up for more space. The ladder on the chick side is attached with a quick-release hinge (http://bit.ly/Saghinge) so we can take it off when not in use. There are hooks under the hen house so we can store the ladder, unseen, when we don’t need it. It’s not usually cold in North Carolina, but a couple weeks a year it gets in the single-digits, so the chick side is also insulated and doesn’t have a window or an external nesting box, so if we’re worried about weather we can pop them into the chick side where they’ll be warmer.

As for the outside of the coop, I really liked the elevated look of the original Garden Coop, so we shortened the walls and did a faux board-and-batten just because I like it. We added a window with a plexiglass shutter because we like to peek in, and to add circulation in the summer. We also made the entire footing out of cinder blocks so we could fill the run with sand. We did this with our other coop and it worked awesome both for drainage and for keeping it clean, as we scoop it once a day with a kitty litter scoop.
IMG_3287.jpg

Because we were cutting the interior coop space in half, I added exterior nesting boxes to free up some space. I have two tots, so I built on a ladder so they can get the eggs, and it stows away for when they’re not using it (and to make it harder for the 1 yo to get on there unsupervised). I added a gas lid support to the nesting box so little fingers won’t get smashed, and the nesting box opens up on the bottom for easy clean out.

IMG_3260.jpg
IMG_3099.jpg
IMG_3138.jpg
IMG_3236.jpg
IMG_3275.jpg
IMG_3272.jpg

We’re in the process of adding a hardware cloth skirt, then we’ll be done! I was able to do almost the entire coop on my own, with the exception of putting up the walls (you build them on the ground then pop them up and screw them together) and the roof (it was easier having someone available to pass things). I'd say I am moderately handy and I had practice by building the Garden Coop five years ago, but the plans are so easy to follow, a newbie could do it--I just made things tricky for myself by making all the changes. (As a side note, I have no affiliation, nor know the guy who makes the plans, I just think they're great).

As for our old coop—the neighbors are arguing over who gets to take it off our hands. Farewell old friend!
IMG_6100.jpg

(our original garden coop)

Attachments

• IMG_3292.jpg
    IMG_3292.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3214.jpg
    IMG_3214.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3213.jpg
    IMG_3213.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 40
Gorgeous Coop and Run!!
Impressive mods to the plans.

Tho I don't agree with his population capacities and some of his design decisions,
have always much admired his follow up communication efforts.

You might want to hang onto the old coop....would make a great brooder/grow-out coop...or broody coop...or hospital/isolation coop.

Gorgeous Coop and Run!!
Impressive mods to the plans.

Tho I don't agree with his population capacities and some of his design decisions,
have always much admired his follow up communication efforts.

You might want to hang onto the old coop....would make a great brooder/grow-out coop...or broody coop...or hospital/isolation coop.

Thanks! I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I hear you on the capacity issue, and I had actually talked about it in the post for my first coop when we built it. He did respond and I think his explanation is reasonable, but we ultimately decided to go with the more generous space recommendations on BYC and only kept 4 in the last coop and plan to keep 8 at most in our new one. Just curious--what are your other concerns with the design?

As for the old coop--I really do hate to part with it. If we had more property I would definitely keep it, but we're on a 3/4 acre suburban lot and we have a big 10x10 PVC chicken tractor (a playpen for them, really, for when we can't supervise free ranging), a swing set for our kids, a grill, two compost bins, and would like a fire pit....pretty soon there won't be room to walk back there!

Just curious--what are your other concerns with the design?
Mostly his capacity issue and how other stuff fits in because of it. Like this roost, not sure if this is him or you, but are the roosts a foot from the walls with 18" between? Might be hard for them to get up and down. The depth of the coop just seems kinda tight for 2 roosts, what is that dimension?
Latch is clever, as are your other additions, like that fold-able ladder to the nests access.(How long will it take for the kiddos to figure that one out? :D )

I'm not much for kitschy stuff...but this is work of art,
both the graphic and the joinery to 'frame' it.

Mostly his capacity issue and how other stuff fits in because of it. Like this roost, not sure if this is him or you, but are the roosts a foot from the walls with 18" between? Might be hard for them to get up and down. The depth of the coop just seems kinda tight for 2 roosts, what is that dimension?
Latch is clever, as are your other additions, like that fold-able ladder to the nests access.(How long will it take for the kiddos to figure that one out? :D )

I'm not much for kitschy stuff...but this is work of art,
both the graphic and the joinery to 'frame' it.

I'm worried about the roosts too! they're only 7 from the wall and 13ish in the middle. I figured I'd try it, and it will be pretty obvious right off whether it works or not and it will be easy to remove one and center it.

Thanks for the compliment re: stencil. There's no window on that side so it felt like it needed something. I also got a jig saw for my birthday, so obviously had to find a way to work in some curves :)

I'm worried about the roosts too! they're only 7 from the wall and 13ish in the middle. I figured I'd try it, and it will be pretty obvious right off whether it works or not and it will be easy to remove one and center it.
So coop is 24" deep and how long?
I'd not wait, they'll be way more comfortable with only one in there...and the walls will be cleaner ;) How many birds will you keep?

Would love to see the whole front opened up to show the division for old and new.

Back
Top Bottom