The girls first night in their coop

Mouthwash

Chirping
May 20, 2023
Chicago IL
I knew predators were a thing, but did you have to make me worry so soon? The first night outside and this racoon circled their coop. It's very secure so I don't think it could get in but still.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230623_115121_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230623_115121_Gallery.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 30
Of course!

With raccoons you want to make sure their hands can't get through whatever fence you have, or break though whatever material the fence is, and that they can't figure out the latches. We use these guys with carabiner.

1687545085270.png

I don't think raccoons are as adept at digging as foxes, but they can do it. Does your run have a 1/2" hardware cloth apron along the outside? You want one that is 18" out on the ground and held down with landscaping stakes.

Of course!

With raccoons you want to make sure their hands can't get through whatever fence you have, or break though whatever material the fence is, and that they can't figure out the latches. We use these guys with carabiner.
View attachment 3553089

I don't think raccoons are as adept at digging as foxes, but they can do it. Does your run have a 1/2" hardware cloth apron along the outside? You want one that is 18" out on the ground and held down with landscaping stakes.
Their set up I feel would be impossible to get into for a racoon. I have a 6×10 foot housing around their coop with 1/2" mesh around the whole thing, and then inside is their sentinel coop that's mesh welded to steel and I've fixed it to 2x6 studs with a mesh on the whole bottom, and 5" of dirt above it. Unless a grizzly bear comes along in chicago I'm not so worried. I just don't want them to feel terrorized by the attemp. My friend said I've build a maximum security prison for my chickens haha. I do also plan to add 2x3" pvc coated welded wire fencing as the predator apron to the 6x10 housing

Of course!

View attachment 3553089

I also build custom 2 locks with aluminum L stock and use carribeaners, one at the top of the door and one at the bottom

Back
Top Bottom