The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Yep !!! I think that is the way to go !!
goodpost.gif

I shipped my first box of hatching eggs to a friend and this is how I packed them. I was a little nervous as they were going to Maine in this last cold front with temps in the teens.
I used a nest of straw and wrapped each egg in doubled bubble wrap and marked arrows on them so they would go into the box in the right way. I used bubble wrap around all the eggs after I got them into the box and I had straw on all 4 sides of the inside box. I also put straw in between the two boxes to absorb the bumps and also to keep the eggs from freezing. I shipped them out on Sat. and she got them today and said the outside box got a little squished and the outside box had a hole punched in it. But the inside box was untouched and the eggs when she candled them were in perfect condition. Air cells intact and unscrambled. She said she had never gotten eggs that fast or packed that good. I feel very flattered. I also did warn her not to open the box in the house that it would make a huge mess. lol
She did appreciate the warning. lol I did put call for pick up on the box, but I forgot to ask her if she got a call. I will check back with her to see.
*They did not call her, I got the area code wrong on her number* Oooops

Last edited:
Monday morning I hope to start wrapping some eggs up to go to Maine on Tuesday. I plan on starting to send some out with double bubble wrap on them just to see if that works better. I have the large bubble, bubble wrap so normally nothing harms the eggs, but this year I decided to try something new with the outside ones and that is double bubble wrap around each egg..

The normal way that I was doing it was:

Bubble wrap on bottom of box, shavings on top of Bubble wrap

1 page from phone book wrapped around egg

Bubble wrap

Place into plastic sandwich bag.

Then shavings around all of that in the box, and covered with more bubble wrap before I sealed the box.

Now after it is placed into the baggie, I then bubble wrap it again and place in another baggie. Then cover with shavings and fill in all the spaces with shavings, then the bubble wrap. Double bubble
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom