The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Delivery today! Ugh, turns out that the regional box A fits in my mailbox if it's turned sideways and forced (phone was charging, so no photo). Box looked good, though--no dents or anything (I'd had a photo of the unopened box, but I hadn't thought to cover the addresses.)

Upper right--that can't be good...

Nice and tight (I'd taken the paper out, then put it back for the photo).

Burrito wrapped. 'Twas upright in the box.

Definitely not salvageable. 'Twas the only broken egg, though. It had been in the upper right corner, and 2 eggs had yolk on them, which I wiped off with a paper towel.

The final result. I could only really see into the blue eggs--most of the air cells I could see were detached, unfortunately.

I think next time, whatever the hatch rate ends up being, I'll have eggs delivered to the PO box instead of to the house. It didn't even occur to me until I was reading through this thread the last couple of days...

Delivery today! Ugh, turns out that the regional box A fits in my mailbox if it's turned sideways and forced (phone was charging, so no photo). Box looked good, though--no dents or anything (I'd had a photo of the unopened box, but I hadn't thought to cover the addresses.)

Upper right--that can't be good...

Nice and tight (I'd taken the paper out, then put it back for the photo).

Burrito wrapped. 'Twas upright in the box.

Definitely not salvageable. 'Twas the only broken egg, though. It had been in the upper right corner, and 2 eggs had yolk on them, which I wiped off with a paper towel.

The final result. I could only really see into the blue eggs--most of the air cells I could see were detached, unfortunately.

I think next time, whatever the hatch rate ends up being, I'll have eggs delivered to the PO box instead of to the house. It didn't even occur to me until I was reading through this thread the last couple of days...
The one broken egg and the others ok is what makes the burrito wrapping a good way to pack!

Usually with other packing methods, there would have been at least 3 broken eggs--maybe more.

fl.gif
I hope they hatch!

I have begun requesting that eggs be shipped to me Priority Express *only*. I have thrown away so much money in the last couple of years on eggs that were packed beautifully and STILL arrived so scrambled inside that they either never began to develop, or quit within 10 days - including some Ayam Cemani (ow).

I have received 2 packages in the last 3 weeks via Priority Express. Packaging on each was good. No broken shells. 15/18 developing (received from 50 miles away). 8(?) of 13 developing from 1000 miles away. Man is it ever worth the extra money.

I have begun requesting that eggs be shipped to me Priority Express *only*. I have thrown away so much money in the last couple of years on eggs that were packed beautifully and STILL arrived so scrambled inside that they either never began to develop, or quit within 10 days - including some Ayam Cemani (ow).

I have received 2 packages in the last 3 weeks via Priority Express. Packaging on each was good. No broken shells. 15/18 developing (received from 50 miles away). 8(?) of 13 developing from 1000 miles away. Man is it ever worth the extra money.
Anyone know just *how* handling is different between priority and express? It must be more than just time. I never get anything faster using express over priority, but if the packages are handled in a more gentle manner it'd probably be worth it! And I read somewhere on BYC about a 'special handling' option/fee that you can select that will make your package go through hand sorting instead of machine sort? Anyone use that?

Anyone know just *how* handling is different between priority and express? It must be more than just time. I never get anything faster using express over priority, but if the packages are handled in a more gentle manner it'd probably be worth it! And I read somewhere on BYC about a 'special handling' option/fee that you can select that will make your package go through hand sorting instead of machine sort? Anyone use that?

I did some searching here at BYC on the express shipping and special handling options for hatching eggs. I found posts by people who did not get better results using those options.

I did some searching here at BYC on the express shipping and special handling options for hatching eggs. I found posts by people who did not get better results using those options.
Wondering if results on average might be better. Have to admit I'm not too impressed with Priority anymore. Wonder what book rate would do. : )

I'm so displeased with the USPS system that it is ridiculous. I do like the new stickers I have seen that are florescent and say, Be Kind I'm Alive.

The last at the PO told me that even with fragile, things get thrown around a lot. I tried to ask her about best shipping methods and cheapest methods and she looked at me, shrugged and said, I only know what my computer tells me when I push the button.

How are we to know how to get better if they don't have a clue?

I'm starting to wonder if another company would be better? Does anyone else so eggs besides the PO?

Back
Top Bottom