The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Pics
Quote: I have an electric heater, which is less efficient than the gas furnace I use to heat the house. I am sure that the electric heater saves money compared to heating the whole house though.

Try to keep the room at the 60 degree temperature and the incubator should be fine. They(Styrofoam incubators) have trouble keeping the temperature stable if the room goes below 55 or so.

My thought was to get a box (cardboard or made from insulating panels taped together) to put the 'bator in so that heat lost through the vent holes would warm the air in the box and serve as a buffer between the 'bator and the room. Just a thought...I get 'em all the time.....some of them are good.

Hi everyone. I have been reading this thread for 2 days and I have to say I have truly enjoyed it more than any other thread. I am living vicariously through you guys. I can't hatch eggs in my bator right now because I am about to move in a week. But my little Japanese mama is sitting now. She has 12 eggs under her which are a hodge podge of my different little bantams. They are due on my birthday April 9th. I can't wait. I love reading about the different weather conditions you all have. It's crazy how it can be in the negatives when it is in the 70's here in Louisiana. Although we are having a little Easter cool snap right now 60 in the day 40 at night. Lol. I can't imagine snow like you guys talk about. Would love to see it at least once. It will be 81 by monday here!!

Welcome, Moni! We're glad you joined us. Stay tuned for my first experience hatching shipped eggs!

I have already been offered some turkeys and other surprises to try for the Cinco de Mayo Hatchathon. I am thinking of procuring some more, purely in the name of science, of course.

Wisher I am sure you said it already but when are you hatching your first shipped eggs? Can we hatch along? I set on the 5th.

ETA I should read more carefully. You are setting to hatch on the 5th then? That is my anniversary and I will have other things on my mind ;)

Last edited:
I would love to have you on that hatchathon (turkeys and tutors) https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...de-mayo-turkey-hatchathon-all-poultry-welcome but I have to warn you, that one is a wild ride. Everyone on that hatch loves to cut up and laugh (usually at each other!) I will be posting the incubation notes here, as well. I (we) will set turkeys and ducks on April 7th, then chickens or "turkey tutors" on the 14th. Can you wait that long? BTW, April 6th is my anniversary and my parents anniversary, too!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom