The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wisher1000, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

2. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks so much. I should be able to manage that. :)

3. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

My thought was to get a box (cardboard or made from insulating panels taped together) to put the 'bator in so that heat lost through the vent holes would warm the air in the box and serve as a buffer between the 'bator and the room. Just a thought...I get 'em all the time.....some of them are good.

4. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    Wisher I do think that one qualifies :)

5. Moni

Moni Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    [​IMG]
    Hi everyone. I have been reading this thread for 2 days and I have to say I have truly enjoyed it more than any other thread. I am living vicariously through you guys. I can't hatch eggs in my bator right now because I am about to move in a week. But my little Japanese mama is sitting now. She has 12 eggs under her which are a hodge podge of my different little bantams. They are due on my birthday April 9th. I can't wait. I love reading about the different weather conditions you all have. It's crazy how it can be in the negatives when it is in the 70's here in Louisiana. Although we are having a little Easter cool snap right now 60 in the day 40 at night. Lol. I can't imagine snow like you guys talk about. Would love to see it at least once. It will be 81 by monday here!!

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Welcome, Moni! We're glad you joined us. Stay tuned for my first experience hatching shipped eggs!

I have already been offered some turkeys and other surprises to try for the Cinco de Mayo Hatchathon. I am thinking of procuring some more, purely in the name of science, of course.

7. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Oooooppppsy!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  8. Moni

Moni Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    I will be looking forward to it!!!

9. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    Wisher I am sure you said it already but when are you hatching your first shipped eggs? Can we hatch along? I set on the 5th.

ETA I should read more carefully. You are setting to hatch on the 5th then? That is my anniversary and I will have other things on my mind ;)

10. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I would love to have you on that hatchathon (turkeys and tutors) https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...de-mayo-turkey-hatchathon-all-poultry-welcome but I have to warn you, that one is a wild ride. Everyone on that hatch loves to cut up and laugh (usually at each other!) I will be posting the incubation notes here, as well. I (we) will set turkeys and ducks on April 7th, then chickens or "turkey tutors" on the 14th. Can you wait that long? BTW, April 6th is my anniversary and my parents anniversary, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by