The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wisher1000, Jan 23, 2013.

1. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh yeah I see it. Sorry had never need a picture of a dorking. Yep imo the x has much prettier eggs and well the pullet and cockeral cross are both prettier that the pure dorkings. Is the crosses eyes really that blue or is it just the picture

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    It is the picture. Her eyes are a nice amber color. I was very happy with the error and the egg she lays is much bigger than SG Dorking eggs! It is the second largest usually and she lays a lot of eggs too.

3. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Hi All!

Another example of packing eggs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The grey foam is pipe insulation. It comes in different sizes. Debs_Flock ships like this.

4. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dollar tree foam noodles i like this idea how are the air cells?

5. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    I like the way that pipe insulation is around each individual egg. The double boxing is also a plus as evidenced. I'd think more bubble wrap or similar should have been in both boxes and especially outside box. Sawdust in the inner box would probably work well also.

How were the air cells?

Dan

6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop

7. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Hi guys! So I have put my borrowed LG still air in an upstairs bedroom. It is holding temp except at night when it has dipped down to as low as 97.5. Should I a) turn up the heater in the upstairs? b) put a space heater in that room c) Put sterilized hot rocks in there when I turn them in the evening? d) all of the above e) some of the above HELP eggs are due on 4/5. I am OOT 4-1 through 4-4 so need to monkey around with it this week.

8. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I used a space heater because I think it saves energy to heat one room. I did not however factor in the efficiency factor.....

9. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop

10. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks Ron but I am a little fuzzy re what you mean by not factoring in eficiency... Did you over-heat the room and did it spike in the bator? This room is probably tops out at 63 degrees during the day and remains at that pretty steadily but we have pretty extreme( 40+ degrees at times) temp fluctuations where I live at this time of year. I will measure the swing in the room today so I know for sure .

Thinking hot rocks and a space heater on low?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by