The Great LG Project!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Baralak, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I have talked about it long enough. So here is the start of the GREAT LG Project.

What I'm going to do is I have placed an LG incubator in a VERY stable room, with no drafts. Inside this incubator I am placing 7 shipped Black Australorp eggs, 4 EE eggs (my own flock) and 4 BYC mixes. I am setting this the same time i'm setting my 1602n, however this project is focusing directly on the LG. I am NOT using the egg turner. I will be recording temps at various times through out the day and will preform an egg turn 3X a day. The temp readings will be taken, however we will be focusing on 3 main topics that most people have issues with the LG.

1. Temp Variances from set temp.
    2. Humidity problems.
    3. Recovery times after lid removal.

I will be recording the findings here and on Louisianachickens.com. Everyone is welcome to use louisianachickens.com!

Other items in mention that I will record is Candling reports, water fillups, overall hatch rates with viable eggs, and anything out of the ordinary.

After this 21 days are up, I will attempt to re-engineer this incubator to correct any problems that arise.

I will be taking temp readings from several different layers inside the bator, one at the floor, one mid egg, one top egg, one 1 inch above egg.

Yep.. it has 4 probe type thermometers inside plus a glass one.

I will post pics of the set as soon as I can get it to a stable temp. Right now when I checked it was at 107, so I have adjusted it down and awaiting the bator to settle.

I would like to thank ZooMummzy for the incubator. I decided to use one that had been through a couple of cycles, since this is where the problems start showing, and Grambys Farms for providing some of the eggs for this project!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  2. macdoogle

macdoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    San Diego
    Wow! Awesome project. I have an LG. First bator I've ever bought and doing my first hatch. Set eggs on 2/10 and so far do good. Temp is holding with minor adjustments. Humidity seems to be fine and holding. Have not added water yet. It is hard to tell if there is water in the tray. I'll follow this post for sure.

3. HathawayHens

HathawayHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    I have my first hatch set in an LG with turner as of tonight... got it used, and the temps are fluctuating a bit, but the temp of the water balloon I have placed in there is holding steady... so I am interested to see what you find out, and will be finding out a lot right along with you! [​IMG]

4. macdoogle

macdoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    San Diego
    What's a water baloon?

5. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Quote:X2

6. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Baralak, is this still or forced air?

7. HathawayHens

HathawayHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    well, I have no idea if it is scientific or not, but I have an egg sized water balloon in the bator (others had mentioned water worms, but I can't find one)... I have been taking it out during this set up time and taking its temp with the glass thermometer... lol. Not sure if that is valid or not, but all the other temps are all over the place, so I sure hope the balloon is being helpful and not luring me into a false sense of security.

8. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    I couldn't find any brand besides LG locally so even though I read all the complaints here and I am attempting to hatch eggs from my girls I lost 2 weeks ago, I had no time to be picky. This is also the first time I've used an incubator (much easier and less stressful when my girls did it!). I'll be following this thread with interest, thank you for sharing it with us.

9. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Well we finally got the temps settled down enough that I could set the eggs. This is a still air.

And my batteries in my camera are dead so I will take pics tomorrow.

Keep in mind I did set my 1602n at the same time, and I will be setting my Brinsea octagon 20 eco on Thursday!

I will send reports tomorrow!

10. tay_boe

tay_boe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    This is extremely interesting!

Hathawayhens- that's my life story too! We started out with Easter chicks and now it's an overpowering addiction!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by