The Great LG Project!

Oddly enough this is my first hatch and the bator was a gift so i couldnt be picky either! I had a touch of trouble getting set to begin with - but when i put the eggs in had to reset all over - was all over the chart. But back to steady - not sure - but i will be following this as well! I fear people are saying i wont get anything out of this hatch due to my newbie bator? LOL

This is also my first hatch - i had troubles getting the temp set - but the n was fine - but when i put the eggs in it went all over the board! This bator was a gift so i mean i cant complain and its a learning process for me - but has everyone really had problems with temps fluctuating? Surely people do have successful hatches out of these right? Will follow thread!

The Temp in mine holds firm as long as I use the thermometer that came with the LG. Sometimes the plastic sheet slides off the eggs and drops, but when I place it back it's OK. The other thermometer I have in there reads lower by 2 degrees.. Someone on BYC said that in still air bators the temp should be 101.5 rather then 99.5. Is this true?

Ok.. My eggs are at the end of day one, and let me tell you the temps were all over the place the first 24 hours.. Of course I know that there will be some temp droppage for the first 24 hours because the core temp of the eggs arn't at temp yet, but geeze. I would check it at 104, then give it a very small adjustment, and would check in an hour and would be at 94.. Sooo.. After the eggs had a chance to get to temp, it seems to be a little more stable.

I am still taking pics and will get them online tomorrow.. It has been a long day.

Quote:
That is correct... Still air bators (ones that don't have a fan) should be at 101 degrees ON TOP of the egg. Forced air (incubators with a fan) should be at 99.5

i've used L.G for a few years now and have learned that a milk cap glued on the temp control helps make fine temp changes easy.a cheap computer fan can be a BIG help also.
i have hatched over 250 chicks this way.
68414_100_0348.jpg

Very good idea.. I have seen people using knobs, but never though of a milk cap.. Very good!!!

Yes.. I will be adding a fan after this test.. My other bators are doing well..

BTW!!!! YOUR avatar is just tooo much.. that serama mama is way too cute!

Last edited:
Quote:
THANK YOU - that is my deal - its very touchy and you jsut want it a touch up or down is hard - already running the bator - but maybe next time!

Quote:
That is correct... Still air bators (ones that don't have a fan) should be at 101 degrees ON TOP of the egg. Forced air (incubators with a fan) should be at 99.5

So, I'm confused. Does this mean that when the LG supplied thermometer says 99.5 it's actually at 101? Or should I raise the heat so that the LG thermometer reads 101? Or should I put in a REAL thermometer and keep it at 101? And really - why the h*ll doesn't the LG directions TELL you that important little detail!!!

I'm following this thread with interest. I'm using a borrowed LG and so far I'm not loving it. Temps fluctuate like crazy. I'll see if I can scrounge up an old computer fan and a milk jug lid. Thanks for the tips!

So, if I've been incubating for 5 days at 99.5 instead of 101 - do my eggs have any chance of making it? I'm glad I haven't bought any expensive eggs for it. But still, it's full of my own eggs and I really want the babies.

Quote:

So, I'm confused. Does this mean that when the LG supplied thermometer says 99.5 it's actually at 101? Or should I raise the heat so that the LG thermometer reads 101? Or should I put in a REAL thermometer and keep it at 101? And really - why the h*ll doesn't the LG directions TELL you that important little detail!!!

I'm following this thread with interest. I'm using a borrowed LG and so far I'm not loving it. Temps fluctuate like crazy. I'll see if I can scrounge up an old computer fan and a milk jug lid. Thanks for the tips!

So, if I've been incubating for 5 days at 99.5 instead of 101 - do my eggs have any chance of making it? I'm glad I haven't bought any expensive eggs for it. But still, it's full of my own eggs and I really want the babies.

I am at 100- listen i have read alot and some things never say to raise the temps for still air - but some do - we will have to see what others say ---

Back
Top Bottom