The great yolk color debate

I never updated with a comparison....

Top egg is feed only. Middle egg is feed and alfalfa hay. Bottom egg is feed, alfalfa hay, and 1-2 tablespoons of paprika added to the feed for 11 chickens.

It takes 5-6 days to see a change and consistent color reached by 8-9 days.

View attachment 1684763
Wonder if kelp would have the same affect as the alfalfa. Does the paprika affect the flavor?

The paprika doesn’t adversely affect the flavor. The eggs seem to taste richer now from when I first moved to fully enclosed, however, this is far from scientific without controls and with plenty of variables. I’m sure the alfalfa, grubs and weeds I toss in daily have the most affect to the taste.

@EggWalrus i just got an email that my fans have been ordered and are shipping out! :)

There’s a phone number on my receipt and I ordered 2. Lemme know if you want to try and call. If you want me to, I’m more than happy to send you my other one when it gets here!

Thanks @jolenesdad but I still have 1 or 2 they sent me years ago.
I'm sure someone else can put it to good use if they send you extra. I'm curious about how many colors are in these new fans though. My old grandpa's only had 10 or 12 colors, mine goes to 15, but I've heard rumors they are supposed to be one in the works that goes to 20 (really dark orange/red).

@EggWalrus i just got an email that my fans have been ordered and are shipping out! :)

There’s a phone number on my receipt and I ordered 2. Lemme know if you want to try and call. If you want me to, I’m more than happy to send you my other one when it gets here!
I'd be interested in the extra :)

Thanks @jolenesdad but I still have 1 or 2 they sent me years ago.
I'm sure someone else can put it to good use if they send you extra. I'm curious about how many colors are in these new fans though. My old grandpa's only had 10 or 12 colors, mine goes to 15, but I've heard rumors they are supposed to be one in the works that goes to 20 (really dark orange/red).

20190321_120722.jpg

Most my yolks are between 13 & 15, but I get quite a few that are darker than 15.

Back
Top Bottom