The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Quote:
ginbart, that about the best comparison picture I've seen on here.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks, now if I could only get them to lay an egg. Even one. LOL

Well good morning everyone and I see all the comments thanking Bob for starting this thread. To tell you the truth, Bob has been a tireless worker in supporting poultry science for many years and it takes a lot of time and selfless attention. He has been helpful to many hundreds of folks in this business and I happen to be one of those.
I would like to wish everyone associated with this Forum and especially all the ones participating on this thread and the official heritage large fowl thread a "happy and prosperous New Year" and may all your eggs be fertile and your show birds-winners. That is unless you are showing against me! Lol big_smile

Roy J. Autrey
www.AFFPoultry.com
home of the "awesome Orps and the robust Reds"

Quote:
ginbart, that about the best comparison picture I've seen on here.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks, now if I could only get them to lay an egg. Even one. LOL

Of all the pictues I have seen sent to me or placed on the net this is one of my favorites. Why you see the two different styles of Reds. How then could anyone be confussed between a red from a mail order catalog and from a good breeder like Mr. Bennett.

Its the 1905 style vs the 1930s style of Red and thats what the founders wanted to develope and we still have a hand full of breeders trying to do this today.

Roy I am going to send a lot of people to you for chicks this year. Many want good birds and dont want to show them and you know how hard it is to get good breeders to sell eggs and chicks it is very rare as they want to raise all of them up first them selves which is normal. I am glad and shocked you found Duane Urchs email addrss. You need to find his list of breeds and then if he has your breed contact him. Roy and Urch are your two best bets for getting Standard breed fowls by chicks. Happy New Year. Bob

I did pm someone to see if he would have more eggs in the spring but now I'm thinking to try another line and between the two I would not have the same line going. Any idea's on that? Thanks

RIR008.jpg

004-1.jpg

002.jpg

GARY RAMEY STRAIN OF RHODE ISLAND REDS SOUTH CAROLINA

Here is a old strain of Large Fowl Single Comb Rhode Island Reds from a fellow named Gary Ramey of South Carolina. Do you know anyone who got eggs from him in the past year or so that has his strain?
There is more to this strain that interests me as he has brought them from California which he has breed them for the past 40 years. Please post a comment you thoughts or send me a personnel message. Thank you bob

Last edited:
Has anyone ever heard of George Ryan? He was located in west central arkansas area before he passed away a while back. I will post pics of his birds I picked up from a former co-worker who bought out his stock. I am new to this and I am sure they are going to need work. I will post pics tomorrow morning. They are 13 weeks old. I am only going to be positive here. Even if they turn out to be something less they will still add to my much needed egg laying crew that works so hard for me every day. Bob I sent an email to Chapel Farms about those delawares I hope they will ship me some as they make me want to just toss all of mine
smile.png

Forgot to add if these guys are the real deal I should be able to get her to let me pick out the hens and roo I would want eggs from and get eggs to hatch out. Of course then I am gona "need" someone to come over and help me pick through them... Anyone for an all paid trip to some beautiful country?
wink.png

Last edited:
Ok after a slight delay
big_smile.png
here are the pics.

This first one shows close to their true color
064.jpg

087.jpg

085.jpg

074.jpg

076.jpg

This pic is a comparison of the size of the legs between photos 74 and 76 vs the rest of the girls. They are twice as big... a sneaky roo maybe?? *shrugs*
092.jpg

The first pic 064 the little roo isnt doing to well I wormed them yesterday and today he was all huddled up with his eyes closed so i moved him out into a separate coop and sure enough he has clear watery diahrea... it never fails something like this happens... Glad I isolated them completely from my flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom