The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Those are not RIR's. Those are production Reds, which are the hatchery version of RIR. If you look at some of the pictures in this thread it is easy to see the difference between Heritage RIR's and Production RIR's. Don't know about butchering, sorry.

2. FOGELLY

FOGELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Arkansas

That was several weeks ago.
    We have many, many feet of PVC pipe. I installed every bit of it myself, including the main water line from the meter to the house.
    It was not an issue with the water itself. I purchased all the pipe from a local building supply. Same supplier as all of the line on our property. I will never know what it may have been.

I will use it as a learning experience, just be a little behind the original plan.

Thanks for everyone's well wishes, it is truly appreciated.

Ron

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  3. FOGELLY

Oct 25, 2010
    Arkansas
    Your should butcher them when their size suits your standard for a meat bird. They will reach a point when they are eating more than their value for meat. Ron

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

We usually go ahead take the cockerels at around 18-20 weeks. That's about the "sweet spot" that Ron was talking about. After that, they may put on a bit more muscle, but the feed they consume to do so isn't always worth it. It's a judgement you'll have to make at the time.

5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Do you think it could have been some toxicity in the glue used "maybe"? I think I would at the least throw away that can and try a different one or brand. I think some of the "better for though stuffs" made nowadays "ain't really that great" for you much less the lesser(wee) ones that are often dealt with on a farm. J/S this my opinion only, LOL

Jeff

6. Thanks for all the info! Wasn't sure on the breed, so thanks!

7. FOGELLY

Oct 25, 2010
    Arkansas

I was thinking glue most likely also. The glue I used was one of those one step glue and primer types that is supposed to work in wet or dry conditions.
    Never Again!

8. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

9. chicksnthestiks

chicksnthestiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2012
    Gold Country, CA
    I am so sorry for your loss and want to thank you for sharing this. I am always running new lines and getting ready to do one to the chicken coups. Maybe it was the glue that can seep through the joints before they dry.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I am wondering that too. When I have excess boys from hatches, I usually sell them. That way I can at least recoup some of the expense of feeding them. Many people buy them because they are Heritage RIR and they want new blood in their flock. I don't think most that buy the cockerels are really buying them because they are HRIR but because it is a different blood line, they like the dark mahogany color of the birds. They really don't care about preserving the line. I have thought about butchering some but I get very attached to them, so I don't think I could process them myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by