The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. 15littlem

15littlem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2012
    From say a small dog or small cat?

2. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    Dang Ron, sorry to hear about your loss. Good luck with your next hatch.

Penny

3. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    [​IMG] Hope everything is going great for you my friend! [​IMG] All 10 birds doing wonderful!!!!!! Getting big!!

4. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Oh my gosh, that is just terrible. Gee, I was feeling bad because I lost 3 of my young Underwood chicks this week. I've been expecting the one to die for a couple of weeks. She's been a little droopy since hatch but one day she would look down and then the next day she would seem fine. I guess she just never got the strength that she needed. I think what happened with the other two is that they just piled on each other and smothered them. They were fine last night and when I went to move them to their coop today they were dead in the corner of their pen. I'm thankful now since reading your story. That is sure an awful loss. You will come out okay though. You've helped out a lot of others in the past month or two. Wishing you all the best. One thing Ron, we will all know to really run a lot of water through any new PVC pipe that we install. Who would ever think of that.
    Jim

5. FOGELLY

FOGELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Arkansas
    Thanks again Jim, and Thank you Penny.
    My wife told me that the best bird I will raise this year will come from this next hatch.

It has be a joy helping get some more folks going with RIR.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Ron, so sorry to hear about the loss of your chicks. What a horrible tragic thing to happen. I'm glad you told this story because it could happen to others, and may be a lesson. Hope you get a great hatch. My 8 chicks from you are doing great--I promise pictures.

Kim

7. docdandc

docdandc Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Norco, CA
    One big lesson here is to share your bloodlines with other people like Ron did. In case most of his stock died, he could regain all his hard working bloodlines by getting chicks from some of the people that have his lines. This could have happened to any of us. Glad he didn't take a slirp of the water first.......[​IMG]

8. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I was thinking of that when I was writing my post doc. About sharing the birds. We never know when some kind of storm or other weird thing could happen just like this and be wiped out of these good birds.
    That's true also doc about the taking a drink. How many times we (I know I have) take a drink out of a hose etc when we are outside working. Geez

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop

10. Here is a RIR and his buddy in the background that I got out of the 'frying pan special' at the feed store. I was actually trying to get a pic of some other chicks, but these birds are so up in my gridness anytime I go out. Funny birds!
    [​IMG]

They are about 6 weeks old now. About what age are they usually best to butcher?
    Thanks!
    Jason

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by