The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Mumsy

Mumsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Holy Carp! That is bad news! I've been away from the thread for a few days. Just came back on here and read this.

Just know this Ron. If you ever needed to get some of your blood lines back, just let me know. When your birds start producing for me, you can have first dibs.

They are looking wonderful by the way. I am starting to tell males from females and that brick shape and broad back and skull are really starting to show too.

Seems like with raising live stock it's always one step forward, two steps back. Murphy's law......I hate Murphy.

2. FOGELLY

FOGELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Arkansas
    Thank you Jane.
    The good thing is I still have my Janurary chicks and my breeders are still cranking out 40+ eggs a week.

It is good to know that there will be birds out there from this line that will be available in the future for fresh blood.
    There are now three flocks of young birds on the west coast from this line. Around 40 birds total out there in good hands.

Also some in several other climates much different than Arkansas. It will be fun in 4-5 years to see how they develop. It will be a good test of Bob's theory of Genetic Divergence.
    If a few of y'all can stick it out, we should be able to keep this line going for a long time.

Ron

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  3. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    [​IMG]

4. ronniewayne

ronniewayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    QUEEN CITY,CASS COUNTY
    hey Ron sorry to hear about your birds. I have hatched over 100 from your line so dont worry about losing them entirely. if you want or need any let me know. thanks for breeding this line . i think the advice from Bob to distribute your birds in the hands of other growers is the key to long term success . but i will say becoming a breeder is hard work for most of us chicken keepers. developing the eye is my focus it will be interesting in 5 years to compare the flocks. have a great day!
    Ronnie

5. redrstr29

redrstr29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    One time I bought pvc pipe from lowes and when I went to intall It had rat feces in it...maybe they had rat poison around and it defecated in the pipes and some of the poison lingered....So sorry about your loss
    good luck!!!![​IMG]

6. desertmarcy

desertmarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Tucson
    Here's a pic of some 5 day old chicks I hatched. I bought chicks last year from Matt1616, these are offspring of those birds. Anybody want these beautiful Mohawk RIRs, PM me, I got hatching fever and set too many eggs for my needs [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Here is a chick that hatched today from birds I got from Matt. The little bugger was very interested in the camera and kept walking up to it and pecking at it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. sgribble

sgribble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Chatsworth,GA
    Tell me about it I have over 100 of these hatched out from Matt.

9. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    Look at the width between the legs on this chick a great trait. I had names like War Eagle, Houdini and High Steeper when I started with my three males. This chick needs to be called Hollywood. Hope it grows up to have some of the traits of these three old males and of course Mohawk V. bob

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    [​IMG] These are my 2 week old RIR chicks from Ron Fogle in Arkansas. These are very calm, sweet chicks, and are growing well.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by