The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Jake Levi

Jake Levi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Harrisville, MI
    this is very encouraging to read, and I also want to read about and eventually get stock or eggs from a productive flock.

My grandmother counted her eggs daily, wehn they dropped off she started physically checking hens, the non producers became chicken and dumplings. And she knew which hens produced her roosters, she did no incubating, her hens did.

She was also adamant on the combs, she often said 'if its not a rose comb its not a Rhode Island Red. ' I never saw a SC in her flock.

We need more folks like her breeding chickens.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Great perspective. And one I share. I believe fidelity to the laying characteristics of the origins/intent of the breed are part of its "heritage" to be maintained.

3. Fentress

Fentress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Chesapeake, Va.
    That's a lay rate at least as good as what I am getting with hatchery birds and you probably have more consistent egg quality. My eggs come in all sizes! Since these are dual purpose birds lets talk meat. Wouldn't it be fun when we cull the spring cockerels to post the weight and the age, with a picture or two and any management related comments you might think relevant. I won't be able to post till later since my chicks won't arrive until late May, but I would appreciate the info.

Mark

4. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    I hear of everybody culling there roos for meat. What do you all do with your culled hens?? Do you just sell them or do you eat them too?

5. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Banded, put in with the layer flock. If they turn out special, they are taken back out. When I get to many in my layer flock I either eat them or run an ad for older laying hens.

6. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    [​IMG]

7. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

8. immyjay54

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I use the different colored spiral bands #11 usually on the hens and I also use the numbered bandettes. The only time I've ever lost one is if I band them to early. Then you may loose one. I have bands on some of my girls that have been on there for over two years and are still there. lol
    Just noticed that yours are hatchery birds. You may need to go with a smaller band. I had a small hen that hers kept fall off. She only grew to about the 4 month size and never got any bigger. I ended up using a zip tie on her. She has since died over the winter.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  9. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

10. immyjay54

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Okay folks. Question for some of the old timers. lol Many many years ago when I was just a kid, my parents always had RIR's. Not from hatchery but from other local farmers. Dad and mom always let the hens set and raise chicks to replenish the flock because we butchered both hens and roosters. When our chicks were first hatched they looked like little chipmunks (ground squirrels). They had really black stripes back both sides of their backs and on their heads. I haven't seen this for a long long time. Even in hatchery RIR's. In the last 2 years I have probably received over 250 eggs/chicks from other breeders. Never have I received a chick like the ones I mentioned nor have I ever hatched one from others eggs or my own eggs. All of a sudden, this past weekend I hatched chicks from my Don Nelson line (these are dinahmoe and NYREDS females and dinahmoe cock bird. These are all pure Don Nelson lines. I had 3 with the really dark lines described above and 1 with the lines just not as pronounced. The other chicks are all just like what we all see all the time from the RIR's. Could it be that I have a hen that lays the golden egg? Do any of you breeders that breed a lot of these birds ever come across this or do any of you have comments. I think I will band these chicks so I know which ones they are as they grow and see how they turn out. This really has me confused. I couldn't see the striping until they totally fluffed up.

Including pictures taken today. These were hatched Saturday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] The chcks in the top and left in this photo is what most of our RIR chicks look like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by