The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    According to the Byerly and Quinn study 93.6% of striped RIR chicks are female.

Here is the link to Color Markings In Rhode Island Red Chicks As Related to Sex and Adult Color by F.A. Hays

http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/IND43969461/PDF

Penny

2. FOGELLY

FOGELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Arkansas
    I see this a lot in my Columbian Rocks. Since the RIR is a Columbian bird it will interesting to see if these chicks have a lot of extra black in their hackles. I get a lot of chicks with a wide stripe. I will pay attention next hatch and see if their are some with the dual stripe.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  3. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    What is so strange about this to me is a friend of mine and I were talking about how the old time RIR's looked like little chipmunks and I hadn't seen them like that for years. I see a little dark on heads now and then but nothing like these are. I went back through my pictures, pictures and more pictures of newly hatched RIR's that I've had over the past 2 years and they are all just the little red fuzz balls. Even pictures posted on BYC forum I don't see the black stripes on the backs. As for the dark spots etc meaning female. The parents of these (the ones from dinahmoe) I hatched from eggs. I hatched out 10 chicks and 7 were female and 3 male and none of them had the dark spots on the heads so I never did go my that. Not saying it doesn't work but I don't look for it. I'll just put little zip ties on these and see what they turn out like. It may be something good or it may be something undesirable. Who knows. I just went to my web site and looked at the Underwood chicks at the same age and they are dark and have dark patches certain places but not the black stripes like these chicks do and 9 out of 12 are female.
    Jim

4. sgribble

sgribble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Chatsworth,GA
    I have a line of Reds that have quite a few hatch out with these stripes also.

5. immyjay54

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    What line are your's.
    Jim

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My birds are the Reese/Mohawk line. Once in awhile I get a chick with the stripes. I think I had a couple in my last hatch and will take some pictures tomorrow.

7. Backyard Bob

Backyard Bob Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Does anyone know where I could purchase some good Rhode Island Reds near me?

8. sgribble

sgribble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Chatsworth,GA
    I have Reece/Mohawks and a Roberts line.The Roberts are the ones that I have noticed the stripes.

9. immyjay54

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Have you noticed any difference in these as they mature or do you not pay attention to it? Just curious. As far as the black in hens hackles, tails etc.
    Jim

10. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    In Oklahoma try cowboygourmet(call name here) Roy Autry to the rest of the world,LOL

Jeff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by