The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Getting last minute panic I need Red Chicks. They think I have large fowl I guess.

If you have any that you can share with the beginners let us know. Its getting late in May for down here in the south.

If you are lurkers wanting some please post and tell us who you are.

It is difficult to go by state by state as there are so few people who can supply the demand. bob

I know this has come up before, but I can't seem to get any of the old links to work.
I am trying to find a copy of Rhode Island Reds Book of Knowledge from 1944.
Any clues or hints?
I will take it in any form I can get it in.

Thanks!

Getting last minute panic I need Red Chicks. They think I have large fowl I guess.

If you have any that you can share with the beginners let us know. Its getting late in May for down here in the south.

If you are lurkers wanting some please post and tell us who you are.

It is difficult to go by state by state as there are so few people who can supply the demand. bob

I'm in Arizona and I am hatching out chicks and am willing to ship. However, because I have not had enough requests, my last hatch of my Mohawk RIRs will be 5/6. I've got 28 fertile eggs in the incubator coming out that date, hatches have been excellent, so I don't expect many to fail to hatch. Also have Good Shepard Barred Rocks and German New Hampshires hatching that day, about equal numbers each to the RIRs so can mix and match, enough for several orders. Guess I figured this was the last hatch of the season before it gets too dang hot, so I set a lot of eggs. I have an ad for all of these and more on BYC right now.

The chipmunk markings do disappear. My older birds I can't tell which ones had the stripes as chicks but I will certainly be more attentive now to their marking such as the ticking in their feathers.

The chipmunk markings do disappear. My older birds I can't tell which ones had the stripes as chicks but I will certainly be more attentive now to their marking such as the ticking in their feathers.
I have had chickens forever and I do know that a lot of breed are hatched out this way but what I'm asking is only on the RIR's. I know the stripes leave. I just wondered if it was something that maybe we should try to get. lol Way back years ago All of our RIR's looked like little chipmunks. As I've said, I've hatched many and bought many day old HRIR's in the last 2+ years and have never had one of the little chipmunk striped chicks in any of them. These are the first and it just really surprised me.
Even about 4 years ago I bought day old pullets from McMurray (their RIR's) and not one was striped like these. I'm just going to forget about it because some of the others on here say that they get them so I guess it is just a wild gene or something. Must not be anything to it or I'm sure some of the bigger breeders would have mentioned it.
Jim

I last had RIR chicks back in the 80s, and had chipmunks. At first I thought those were sex linked and they were roosters, but then I saw many turned out to be pullets. There were hen raised so I only had small numbers to compare. On average more were striped marked then not. These were quite old line RIRs that I let go. Self kicking time.

Anyhow,chipmunk marked chicks arnt anything new. I do think that they are associated with darker colored adults then lighter colored.

Back
Top Bottom