The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Most of us are in that time of year where we are growing out our new birds. Think this thread will get a boost when this years birds get some age on them.
I am going to set a few more eggs this Saturday, because believe it or not I only got 4 cockerels from my Janurary birds. I did not get any chicks to keep for myself after January. Because of a tragic accident I lost my February chicks when they were 5 1/2 weeks old, and had already made commitments to others, .
Now watch, I will set 40 eggs Saturday and get 35 cockerels.
I had planned on having all my birds hatched by February, oh well not every plan works out.

Ron

Last edited:
Now watch, I will set 40 eggs Saturday and get 35 cockerels
gig.gif
By the way, this is Anthony. Changed my username.
wink.png

Most of us are in that time of year where we are growing out our new birds. Think this thread will get a boost when this years birds get some age on them.
I am going to set a few more eggs this Saturday, because believe it or not I only got 4 cockerels from my Janurary birds. I did not get any chicks to keep for myself after January. Because of a tragic accident I lost my February chicks when they were 5 1/2 weeks old, and had already made commitments to others, .
Now watch, I will set 40 eggs Saturday and get 35 cockerels.
I had planned on having all my birds hatched by February, oh well not every plan works out.

Ron
Ron that is a shame. I really feel bad that you lost your chicks. Wishing you super good luck on your hatch rate also of the eggs you are going to set for yourself.
Hang in there it will all work out okay for you.
Jim

Getting a trio from sgribble in may and can not wait to have heritage birds. I am glad I found this thread and a couple others before I got a roo. I did not know about heritage and hatchery and wanted true RIRs from the beginning. I remember traveling to Clayton, AL from Phenix City with my Paw Paw. My Great Uncle Tom had RIRs and leghorns, I loved watching that old RIR roo strut around his yard.

Last edited:
Ron that is a shame. I really feel bad that you lost your chicks. Wishing you super good luck on your hatch rate also of the eggs you are going to set for yourself. 
Hang in there it will all work out okay for you. 
Jim

Thanks Jim.
I was sick over it and still feel really bad.Here is what happened.
I spent the better part of a weekend digging a 150+ foot trench and installing a waterline to my grow out pens and brooding area. I used 20' lengths of 1" PVC and a frost free hydrant. I finished just as it was getting dark on Sunday. Bone tired I retired for the day. The next morning before leaving for work, I ran the water until it ran clear (not very long) and watered my chicks and young birds.
The first water I filled was the 5 1/2 week RIR.
When I came home that evening they were all dead. Also a bird in the pen with the next water I filled was very ill. No other pens that received water that morning were affected.
I can only assume that there was something in the water line that poisoned them.

Ron

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom