The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

So... what's the advantage to having a heritage breed? Is it just a purist desire or do they serve as a more functional breed somehow?

They aren't for everyone. Just as growing a garden and processing one's own vegetables isn't for everyone. Some folks are perfectly happy with quick, inexpensive, and frozen TV dinner type foods. It's fine. It's their choice.

The Heritage bird is TRUE to type, color, shape, and very importantly, true to personality that the original creators of the breed intended. They are often much larger, can be much more docile, grow slower, but live longer and have superior instincts for foraging and brooding (but not always) and simply ARE the birds that once were named, described and accepted as that breed.

The modern birds sold only "represent" those breeds. They mature quicker, usually smaller, sometimes lay heavier, but can often times experience burnout at the 2 to 3 year mark.

The experienced difference between having them, side by side, is often like night and day. Just my $.02

They aren't for everyone. Just as growing a garden and processing one's own vegetables isn't for everyone. Some folks are perfectly happy with quick, inexpensive, and frozen TV dinner type foods. It's fine. It's their choice.

The Heritage bird is TRUE to type, color, shape, and very importantly, true to personality that the original creators of the breed intended. They are often much larger, can be much more docile, grow slower, but live longer and have superior instincts for foraging and brooding (but not always) and simply ARE the birds that once were named, described and accepted as that breed.

The modern birds sold only "represent" those breeds. They mature quicker, usually smaller, sometimes lay heavier, but can often times experience burnout at the 2 to 3 year mark.

The experienced difference between having them, side by side, is often like night and day. Just my $.02

I hope the above described birds is what I will get. I have ordered RIR from Sand Hill Preservation Center, which they advertised at not being the production type, but the "true" RIR. Are you familiar with the quality of that line? I am more concerned about behavior, health and overall productivity/longevity than the more detailed aspects of the type. How long do you keep your hens?

Thanks,

mark

So... what's the advantage to having a heritage breed? Is it just a purist desire or do they serve as a more functional breed somehow?
I agree with Fred, there are many reasons to choose "Heritage" breeds over production. Or hatchery birds.
Having hens go broody was not necessarily a desired trait back in the day. It was not all that good for hens to go broody when you depended on them to provide you with food. The HRIR was not developed to go broody.
I can remember my Great Grandparents and Grandparents had a few cross breed Game Chickens that they used for brooders.
Here are a few of my reasons for keeping my Heritage RIR.
Very docile.
180+ eggs a year.
Still laying 4+ years old, never lost one to egg bound.
Acceptable meat birds.
Very good foragers.
Hardy.
Oh also EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL!

There are more reasons, but those are a few.

Ron

Last edited:
As a complete and utter novice I chose to go with Heritage RIR's and overall a breeder over hatchery type birds because I wanted the old original look of what the RIR was supposed to look like. I wanted a breeder who knew their birds and health, temperament and obviously laying ability was important to me too. I chose one and he assures me he has docile birds that are beautiful good layers and hardy birds.
I personally want to walk out to my coop and run looking at nicely bred birds who are true to the breed and sound, I went the same route with the silkie eggs I ordered as well. Just a personal preference for me I suppose, I know my birds are coming from breeders who care for their birds and know them well, gives me a little more trust in what I'm getting. Of course not saying hatcheries or other places don't care for the birds, just how I feel about the whole matter.

Last edited:
I have had both production and heritage RIR. I have one production RIR left and she is 5 years old and still laying.she looks like heck, but...a good broody and mom. She is the exception for production reds. My Heritage birds seem to go broody all the time and I end up with no eating eggs. So I do keep a few productions. I even have a production leghorn (who is not supposed to go broody) with a bunch of chicks now. Someone forgot to give my birds the instruction manual for production and broodiness.
barnie.gif

My other heritage birds seem to go broody 30 days after molt..and 30 days into spring. I am hoping I have different results with this line of HRIR.
fl.gif

I'll respond to a few of these inquiries with my own experience.

I don't put down the high production hybrid strains, especially if you run a small egg business, as we have for many, many years. But those days are coming to end for me. I'm older and lack the get-up-and-go for all that. So, this depends entirely on what your needs/wants are in a flock.

But, I've lost lots and lots of these top notch type layers to ascites and other internal laying issues. It is my perspective that they have been pushed to their ovarian limits by poultry genetics research. The commercial layer houses don't care that much as they practice all in, all out.

I'm just at the place in my life where I prefer to keep better birds around, for many years.

Thanks for the clarification! I like the sound of that. My production birds are great, but I tend to lean toward the pure/conservative side of most things in life. I appreciate you sharing your wisdom. The next step is figuring out where to get some. I see lots of breeders names on here. Is contacting one of them the easiest route?

Thanks for the clarification! I like the sound of that. My production birds are great, but I tend to lean toward the pure/conservative side of most things in life. I appreciate you sharing your wisdom. The next step is figuring out where to get some. I see lots of breeders names on here. Is contacting one of them the easiest route?

Dave, nearer you is often easiest on both you and birds. Do you incubate eggs?

Does anyone have a few production and heritage side by side photos? I'd like to learn to tell the diffrence before I go to the local auction. Thanks to everyone for the exellent info I have recieved so far!

Back
Top Bottom