The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

A quick question for the show folks.

Is it typical to "double coop" the RIR cockbirds at the shows? Finally attended my first chicken show this weekend (VPBA --- RIR won the American class!) and most of the RIR cock/erels were double cooped. They didn't look like they needed the space, but I wondered if this was typical for some reason and what that reason might be?

Thanks!

Last edited:
A quick question for the show folks.

Is it typical to "double coop" the RIR cockbirds at the shows? Finally attended my first chicken show this weekend (VPBA --- RIR won the American class!) and most of the RIR cock/erels were double cooped. They didn't look like they needed the space, but I wondered if this was typical for some reason and what that reason might be?

Thanks!
I double coop all my Lg Fowl Cockerels and Cock birds not just my RIR's. I want them to have as much room as possible in their pen to move around and not screw up their feathers while waiting on the Judge to get to them. Besides if they don't care for the bird next to them it puts some space between the two birds. I guess I feel that they will show better if they are more relaxed.

Chris

I have seen both single and double cooped birds as a show. It is all in how you like to show them. I have to agree with Chris that it is better to do a double coop if they allow it. Our fair will not allow it unless you pay for a trio space.

So in preparation for showing, I often put my males in show pens for two or three days at an early stage, handle them a lot, return the group of them to the male pen and get another set. Every now and then I return them to the show cage for a day. Seems to keep them much calmer when you can only single coop birds. I have a set of 8 show cages set up to do 8 at a time. So far they do not seem to fight when returned unless they are gone for a month.

When I finally decide who is going to the show then they are put into a cock pen of 4 X 4 with lots of shavings (3-4 inches deep). There are 12 of those but I rarely take 12 males to a show.

Rob

Just for kicks, here are pictures (crappy cell phone pics) of some of the RIR at the VPBA show. The Class Winner was hard to photograph, he was constantly on the move. Some of the others I liked were less active.

Those are my birds that were at the VPBA show.The single comb with the ribbon on his coop was BV,BB,Champion American,Champion Large Fowl and Grand Champion of Show.I had a rose comb cockerel that was BV,RB.Also another single comb cockerel that was RV and rose comb pullet RV.

Those are my birds that were at the VPBA show.The single comb with the ribbon on his coop was BV,BB,Champion American,Champion Large Fowl and Grand Champion of Show.I had a rose comb cockerel that was BV,RB.Also another single comb cockerel that was RV and rose comb pullet RV.

Those pictures aren't the best but they show type well enough to see they're nice Reds. Glad to see there are more good Reds appearing around the country. Congrats!

Ok may or may not get on here often in next few days.
#1 reason I have a doe hanging in neighbors garage I need to process to get into the freezer.

#2 The library finally got in the Standard of Perfection 1953 first edition I requested. Soooo will be doing a lot of reading on the RIR. This way I will know better what to look for and how to separate my future base stock from Fred to be a partner in breeding! I am soooo excited at the prospect of getting part of his first generation this next spring to work with.

So don't forget me Fred!!! (You are my enabler in this obsession) :)

Well, I thought I better get on here and say that me and my lovely reds are still well and kicking, (mostly chunks of ice) ha,ha. It has been very cold here for the past week or so and I am sick of breaking all the ice out of the water fountains. Geez, it's taking me twice as long to take care of the birds in the mornings. Carry a 5 gallon bucket of really hot water to pout over the fountains to thaw the ice then put just a little warm water back in for them to drink. It's not the cost of anything but the amount of work is getting me to thinking that I'm not going to keep so many birds next year. lol I just love all of these different lines so much that it will be soooo hard to figure out which I want to keep. Gotta love these red boys and girls.
Pictured below are my Matt's Reese birds. Just turning 8 months old and I guess they've gotten a little used to the northern weather pretty well. They are getting so nice. One thing for sure, The boys are getting some very nice tails on them. Seem's like they are going to have a pretty nice tail set Matt. Their bing cherry color against that white snow is a pretty contrast. They sure are holding on to their yellow/orange leg color. lol

Like your Reds Jim but not so sure about the snow and cold. I understand the age thing with carrying water however I did get some relief this week and had a water line buried back to the chickens about 200 feet. I will accept any donations for that cause WOW. LOL

Scott

Back
Top Bottom