The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Again... talking roos who are over a year old who have already been with hens. .. What size individual keeping pens?

For large fowl cocks I prefer to use a 4'x4' pen. Also have used the Mastiff/Great Dane size dog crates with great success (which are almost that size, think they're 40"x48")

Last edited:
Again... talking roos who are over a year old who have already been with hens. .. What size individual keeping pens?

I make a 4 by 8 by 4 tall with a door on each end 2 by 2 frame with wire and a 8 by 10 tarp for the top. During the non breeding season I put a center divide in it and use it for two rooster. Breeding season I take the divide out and use it for a trio. Does that make since?

Scott

I make a 4 by 8 by 4 tall with a door on each end 2 by 2 frame with wire and a 8 by 10 tarp for the top. During the non breeding season I put a center divide in it and use it for two rooster. Breeding season I take the divide out and use it for a trio. Does that make since?

Scott

Perfect sense. Thanks!

Scott

My breeding pens have removable partitions which convert the entire thing to a large grow out pen. So. .. One large own instead of 4 smaller ones. What I need to do is getting my husband to build me another set of breeding pens do I have something to divide up and use for roos. ;-)
Think he'll go for it?
I'm thinking not this year. LOL

My breeding pens have removable partitions which convert the entire thing to a large grow out pen. So. .. One large own instead of 4 smaller ones. What I need to do is getting my husband to build me another set of breeding pens do I have something to divide up and use for roos. ;-)
Think he'll go for it?
I'm thinking not this year. LOL

He is I am sure a nice guy I am sure he will do it. I will give him a call and talk to him. LOL I have seen pictures of you breeding pens and they look good to me!!!!

Scott

I have 3 breeding pens adjacient to one another in a barn where I was planning to put my 3 breeding roosters with a couple of hens each. The roosters have been staying together in a 7x8 pen, and I had planned on putting them back together in that same adjacient pen once breeding season is over. Will they not be able to go back together without hens after still being in adjacient pens for a few weeks?

I have 3 breeding pens adjacient to one another in a barn where I was planning to put my 3 breeding roosters with a couple of hens each. The roosters have been staying together in a 7x8 pen, and I had planned on putting them back together in that same adjacient pen once breeding season is over. Will they not be able to go back together without hens after still being in adjacient pens for a few weeks?

I'm going to say not easily.

Back
Top Bottom