The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Oh, also... Your avatar photo.. Where are your eggs from? Love the size difference..
hahaha the avatar shows the difference between the first speckled sussex egg & a white leghorn egg...

Did you buy the egg? Or was it from one of your hens? Man that is such a size difference.. We have a few banties that lay eggs that small.
We have a silkie hen, her eggs are bigger than than what I thought they would be.. She is my favorite hen, I named her Cheryl.
After one of my dearest friends, & actually she is the person responsible for the wonder introduction to having chickens.. We also have
a rooster from our first hatch. We named him Clark Kent after his silkie partargarge dad.. He is a mixed rooster.. Very quiet, I can turn
my back on him and he won't come after me.. Some mornings, like today he did not even crow.. And boy is he a georgous rooster.
I plan on posting photos once my dear husband will download them from the camera.. So stay tuned..

Did you buy the egg? Or was it from one of your hens? Man that is such a size difference.. We have a few banties that lay eggs that small.
We have a silkie hen, her eggs are bigger than than what I thought they would be.. She is my favorite hen, I named her Cheryl.
After one of my dearest friends, & actually she is the person responsible for the wonder introduction to having chickens.. We also have
a rooster from our first hatch. We named him Clark Kent after his silkie partargarge dad.. He is a mixed rooster.. Very quiet, I can turn
my back on him and he won't come after me.. Some mornings, like today he did not even crow.. And boy is he a georgous rooster.
I plan on posting photos once my dear husband will download them from the camera.. So stay tuned..
hello again... no I didn't buy the huge white egg, my white leghorn lay it.

Are you NPIP by chance? I'm still in search of a pair or trio, but am patient. I only want to start over one time, haha. I was had on ebay and bought supposed Reese/Mohawk eggs, they even look like bantams, and nothing near what you all are showing on this forum. These are what we ended up with.

Arizona does not have a NPIP program, or I would be. My very first go-around with "show quality" RIR hatching eggs yielded production reds...They were even worse than what you pictured above. I didn't know a lot, but I knew enough to know something was amiss with my birds. After posting photos on BYC a kind man (Matt1616) set me straight and later sent me the real deal.
So I know all about starting over.

hello again... no I didn't buy the huge white egg, my white leghorn lay it.

For some reason I thought I hit the submit, but must not have??

Your photo reminds me of another BYC member that compaired the egg yolk color.. She showed the
yoke from her hens to a store bought one.. You could see the deeper yellow from her hen.. When we first started I thought our girls were not a deeper rich yellow. Our neighbor Cheryl's hens were
a deeper color.. We added wheatgrass & switched to fermented feed.. Now when I make egg salad
it looks like a bright yellow. Right now here in Arizona we have a lot of weeds. We collect them from neighbors yards that do not spray pesticide.. Free chicken food.. :clap

Last edited:
Arizona does not have a NPIP program, or I would be. My very first go-around with "show quality" RIR hatching eggs yielded production reds...They were even worse than what you pictured above. I didn't know a lot, but I knew enough to know something was amiss with my birds. After posting photos on BYC a kind man (Matt1616) set me straight and later sent me the real deal.

Who knows, maybe I'll just see what I can do with these. The genes are in there somewhere!!

Are you NPIP by chance? I'm still in search of a pair or trio, but am patient. I only want to start over one time, haha. I was had on ebay and bought supposed Reese/Mohawk eggs, they even look like bantams, and nothing near what you all are showing on this forum. These are what we ended up with.

Sorry. That's too bad. The genes might be there, but might not be. That's the problem with struggling for a decade in trying. Too much time, too much feed.

I'd suggest if you don't get adolescents from someone, hatch some eggs from some on here where you can see the parent stock. I'm sorry about your experience on Ebay, but I just don't trust egg sellers unless I know them. The internet and Ebay has far too many suspicious characters, shall we say.

Hatch some eggs in February and by fall you'll be showing off your gorgeous adult birds on here.

Have you checked with your state Department of Agriculture? NPIP = National Poultry Improvement Plan. I have birds from Matt also. They are very nice birds. I will be showing some of the offspring at a show next month.

Quote: OFFICIAL STATE AGENCIES -- THE NATIONAL POULTRY IMPROVEMENT PLAN
State Contact Representatives and Key Contacts, September 30, 2013

ARIZONA
Dr. Perry J. Durham,
Veterinarian, Arizona Department of Agriculture,
1688 West Adams Street, 3rd. Floor, Phoenix 85007. Phone: (602)542-4293, FAX: (602)542-4290.
E-mail: [email protected]
Dr. Chris McCarthy,
Assistant State Veterinarian, Arizona Department of Agriculture, Animal Services Division,
1688 West Adams Street, Phoenix 85007. Phone: (602)542-4293, FAX: (602)542-4290.
E-mail: [email protected]

Have you checked with your state Department of Agriculture? NPIP = National Poultry Improvement Plan. I have birds from Matt also. They are very nice birds. I will be showing some of the offspring at a show next month.
I have a friend who has been investigating this via the State Vet. So far, I don't think he has gotten anywhere. I had also asked another person here who shows birds about it, and he told me the program was not up and running. He also commented that the program has flaws, mainly the diseases we are most concerned with are not tested for. Can't say I know too much about it, really, but I am not keen on more government intrusion into my life. Got enough already
roll.png

I have a friend who has been investigating this via the State Vet. So far, I don't think he has gotten anywhere. I had also asked another person here who shows birds about it, and he told me the program was not up and running. He also commented that the program has flaws, mainly the diseases we are most concerned with are not tested for. Can't say I know too much about it, really, but I am not keen on more government intrusion into my life. Got enough already
roll.png

NPIP is important if you are shipping hatching eggs to Virginia or Hawaii. They will not allow them into the state without NPIP.

Otherwise you are correct. There has not been a pullorium out break in a long time so it is not a disease we would normally need to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom