The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Here is a pic of Lil Orphan Annie Underwood. Her mama lost a fight with a opossum protecting her. Fortunately I had a brooder full of chicks close enough in age that I was able to add her to so she wasn't lonely.

Penny

Good for you Penny. Have you raised anymore?

No Jim, I have been working on my Rhodebars BUT I do have both SC and RC in the bator now. My SC has a bum leg so my fertility hasn't been great. Annie's mama only hatched out 1. The opossum destroyed two other clutches that 2 of my other SC's were sitting on. I also have half a dozen eggs under another SC so hopefully these are viable. Boy oh boy do these Underwoods like to go broody. I have 2 hens in with my RB rooster and I was pulling their eggs to incubate and darn if they didn't manage to hide an egg under the hay and hatch it out, lol.

I now have my outside brooder (4 x 8) completed and invested in the Premier heat plate (love, love, love it) so I can do a lot more hatching in the future.

Penny

My Mohawk chicks

No Jim, I have been working on my Rhodebars BUT I do have both SC and RC in the bator now. My SC has a bum leg so my fertility hasn't been great. Annie's mama only hatched out 1. The opossum destroyed two other clutches that 2 of my other SC's were sitting on. I also have half a dozen eggs under another SC so hopefully these are viable. Boy oh boy do these Underwoods like to go broody. I have 2 hens in with my RB rooster and I was pulling their eggs to incubate and darn if they didn't manage to hide an egg under the hay and hatch it out, lol.

I now have my outside brooder (4 x 8) completed and invested in the Premier heat plate (love, love, love it) so I can do a lot more hatching in the future.

Penny
I set one group of 14 and all but 1 egg was clear. It hatched. It was so cold up here I think it really played with fertility. I also sent 21 eggs off to a friend and all were clear. I'm trying once more now since the weather is warmer and see what happens. Gosh, last year from the same birds I had 95 to 100 % hatch rates. I do have 5 girls that started laying a few weeks ago but don't have them in with boy yet. I'm really not wanting to do anymore this year with these. Honestly, I like hatching out better in the fall. Right now I'm working on my birds from Matt. Oh, yes the Underwood's do go broody. lol
Wishing you all the luck in the world.
Jim

I set one group of 14 and all but 1 egg was clear. It hatched. It was so cold up here I think it really played with fertility. I also sent 21 eggs off to a friend and all were clear. I'm trying once more now since the weather is warmer and see what happens. Gosh, last year from the same birds I had 95 to 100 % hatch rates. I do have 5 girls that started laying a few weeks ago but don't have them in with boy yet. I'm really not wanting to do anymore this year with these. Honestly, I like hatching out better in the fall. Right now I'm working on my birds from Matt. Oh, yes the Underwood's do go broody. lol
Wishing you all the luck in the world.
Jim

Oh my gosh we had such a rough winter down here, not as bad as yours of course, but for us it was rough. I think my fertility issues are due to him having such a bad leg, his balance isn't very good and the hens can out run him, lol. I am hoping I can get at least a couple of decent cockerels to hatch so I won't have to worry about it for next year. I had set some of my RC eggs when I set my RB eggs and none of them survived. Two died shortly after hatching and the rest pipped but never made it out of the shell. I am hoping it was just incubator problems and not something hereditary. I really don't want to have to put Tanker over SC hens unless I have no other choice.

Penny

Back
Top Bottom