The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I ask a very very wise man one time and he said it was impossible. there's a lot of stub plucking that goes on but it depends on the person you ask as to whether they will admit to practicing it or not.

I don't think it is impossible, just may take some time. I only blame myself that I missed seeing them on some of my birds that I used for breeding. I will be more watchful. I've only been breeding chickens to SOP for a couple of years now so still have a lot to learn. I know I've learned a lot already thanks to all the great help on these threads but I feel like I've only scratched the surface of poultry knowledge.

I don't think it is impossible, just may take some time. I only blame myself that I missed seeing them on some of my birds that I used for breeding. I will be more watchful. I've only been breeding chickens to SOP for a couple of years now so still have a lot to learn. I know I've learned a lot already thanks to all the great help on these threads but I feel like I've only scratched the surface of poultry knowledge.

It's not impossible.
The Rhode Island Red has a feather footed breed in its heritage so it's not surprising to get stubs now and then.

working on a project with my son. need to know how many breeds are recognised by the APA and how many different classes are recognized. I have 11 classes not including bantams? anyone have info

Mt first RIR egg from my pullets, hatched march 14th. My claculating says 20-1/2 weeks. I was thinking they were older than that. As was expected, it was a double, even though it wasn't big, you can tell by the shape.

Mt first RIR egg from my pullets, hatched march 14th. My claculating says 20-1/2 weeks. I was thinking they were older than that. As was expected, it was a double, even though it wasn't big, you can tell by the shape.

Scott, you have an early layer in your mix. I seriously doubt that all the other females will lock step match her early performance. You may see some as late as 28 weeks. She is likely an exception, not the rule, but time will tell. Did you feed high protein feed the entire time? Just curious.

Getting an early layer gives you a breeding option. If you wish to push on that trait, you certainly know which female to use. Didn't you say earlier that she had very good type?

Mine get high protein feed all the way through their first year and I simply make calcium available around POL.
These standard bred birds will mature on through POL, they need the extra protein. Plus I want to be assured that they are getting the required animal protein through their first winter.

Back
Top Bottom