The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Of the last 2 1 made it out easily the other I helped out as it was a bit dried out and late.

I was looking at my brooders today and wow I'm going o have a large selection of roosters in 4 -6 months. I'm low on females but I'm eyeball estimating that at least 75% of my RIR chicks that are 4 weeks or older are roosters.
Sally,
I wasn't going to do any posting yet but thought since I was on here I might as well. I had 17 eggs made it to lock down that are due to hatch tomorrow but as usual they always seem to start the evening before. lol These 3 just hatched in the last hour. As you can see they are still wet. Took them out since I'm only using the little Brinsea incubator now and I don't want them to be overcrowded in there so I'm taking them out as they hatch. Got quite a few pips so I make get a pretty good hatch out of these. My broody hen finally came off the nest while I was doing my evening feeding tonight and so I got to check her clutch and she still has all 12 eggs in there. She is due to hatch next weekend. I just love having a hen hatch and raise the young. It is a whole lot less work on me. lol The little one with the pieces of egg shell just popped out of the egg about 15 minutes before I took the picture.

Gee, Wish you were getting a better male to female ratio. But, like you said, you will have a good selection to pick from.

Lovely beak color.

We'll eat the extra roos but still I wish there was some way to encourage more females. My 3 goats on the other hand each kidded 1 female kid in the past month. I'm thankful for than as does are desirable this year.

As for broodies, I can't make up my mind. I like them this time of year but last winter I had some chicks get hatched out when I had no easy way to keep thawed water outside for them. So I brought the entire nest inside for a bit. Next time I'll do a better job of preventing a hatch in winter. Right now I have 1.5 broody ducks, they are sharing a nest most times there are 2 on the nest but the one is clearly not on the nest as much. I also have at least 2 broody hens that are at least a week into it. Then there are the 3-6 hens that can't seem to make up their minds.

Lots of birds here. But come processing day my freezer will be full. I'll post before them but if anyone is interested in roosters I'm almost sure I'll have plenty.

Lovely beak color.

We'll eat the extra roos but still I wish there was some way to encourage more females. My 3 goats on the other hand each kidded 1 female kid in the past month. I'm thankful for than as does are desirable this year.

As for broodies, I can't make up my mind. I like them this time of year but last winter I had some chicks get hatched out when I had no easy way to keep thawed water outside for them. So I brought the entire nest inside for a bit. Next time I'll do a better job of preventing a hatch in winter. Right now I have 1.5 broody ducks, they are sharing a nest most times there are 2 on the nest but the one is clearly not on the nest as much. I also have at least 2 broody hens that are at least a week into it. Then there are the 3-6 hens that can't seem to make up their minds.

Lots of birds here. But come processing day my freezer will be full. I'll post before them but if anyone is interested in roosters I'm almost sure I'll have plenty.
Oh my no, I don't want any broody's in the winter time. I don't want chicks when it is that cold anymore. After the real cleaning I had to do in my house, I'm not keeping anymore in here over a couple of weeks. lol My house was covered with that down dust. Had an awful time getting it out of the carpets. lol I just keep taking the eggs out from under them if they decide to go broody in the late fall or to early in the spring.

We hatched these RIR this weekend.There so cute.

We hatched these RIR this weekend.There so cute.
GORGEOUS color not too light nor really dark just a gorgeous color my RIR RED are turning into a chocolate brown at 3&1/2Weeks old but it still way too early to tell what they will be like im already missing the very young hatching brood I evey you lol good luck with your little ones there is nothing like it raising young chicks lol!!!such pretty color!!!

GORGEOUS color not too light nor really dark just a gorgeous color my RIR RED are turning into a chocolate brown at 3&1/2Weeks old but it still way too early to tell what they will be like im already missing the very young hatching brood I evey you lol good luck with your little ones there is nothing like it raising young chicks lol!!!such pretty color!!![/quote
Thank you, I really enjoy them. This is all I'm going to hatch this year with the RIR. I can't wait to watch them grow and get them on the yard.

GORGEOUS color not too light nor really dark just a gorgeous color my RIR RED are turning into a chocolate brown at 3&1/2Weeks old but it still way too early to tell what they will be like im already missing the very young hatching brood I evey you lol good luck with your little ones there is nothing like it raising young chicks lol!!!such pretty color!!![/quote
Thank you, I really enjoy them. This is all I'm going to hatch this year with the RIR. I can't wait to watch them grow and get them on the yard.
i hear ya enjoy them while ya can as they grow sooo fast ,you must have hatch chicks before and i dont vlame ya about that being ya limit the season as that looks like a large brood bunch how many are they??

Yeah, the guy I bought them from wasn't very convincing...lol.. I honestly think the girls may be red stars/comets or whatever that is called...the roo, I have no clue but he's here to stay regardless...
I hope I find them too.. hate that these kids are showing birds as RIR, and instead of the judges/leaders helping them, they just let it go on..would love to see a couple kids walk in with true birds and compete ♡♡ Imo, they're the future..if we don't teach them now they're going to grow up believing that is what an RIR is..
I could send any of my 3 to the 4H show and probably win the class, it's that bad around here :(
Thank you btw :)

I know exactly what you mean! I just got my boys into poultry 4-H and I am finding out quickly that there doesn't seem to be a REAL RIR breeder in Nevada (if anyone knows one please let me know, lol). There's maybe a half dozen people around here who would even recognize one for what it is. I am hoping one of my chicks developes into something worth showing for my boys next year. I would really like some experience with a couple different blood lines...just so I can compare and see which I would like best.

Last edited:
Quote: I just want to caution you about having two different blood lines. I have one blood line from two different breeders. Since I show my birds I want the best possible. Both breeders have the same line. The first one I got birds from were beautiful birds but they were narrow and shorter in the back and pinched tails. The second breeder I got birds with wider and longer in the back and no pinched tails. I got some champions from the second breeder. A young girl showed one of my birds and got a champion in the youths. My point is different breeders of the same lines may have totally different looking birds. Good luck and have fun.

All of these birds are from the same. This is one of my champions. He cut his comb so now he is a breeder.

I plan on showing him in the fall.

This is a brother to my other champion that the 4H girl entered into a show. He didn't want to pose.

Here are a few more of the boys.

This is one of my original males when he was young.

I just want to caution you about having two different blood lines. I have one blood line from two different breeders. Since I show my birds I want the best possible. Both breeders have the same line. The first one I got birds from were beautiful birds but they were narrow and shorter in the back and pinched tails. The second breeder I got birds with wider and longer in the back and no pinched tails. I got some champions from the second breeder. A young girl showed one of my birds and got a champion in the youths. My point is different breeders of the same lines may have totally different looking birds. Good luck and have fun. All of these birds are from the same. This is one of my champions. He cut his comb so now he is a breeder. I plan on showing him in the fall. This is a brother to my other champion that the 4H girl entered into a show. He didn't want to pose. Here are a few more of the boys. This is one of my original males when he was young.
Beautiful birds!! I hope I get some that nice some day! If my boys had one that great they would be winners for sure. Yes, I took what you said a few posts back about mixing lines to heart. I just meant that I would like a couple different lines to compare to each other over all, not to breed. If I like one more than another I would just focus on that one if I started breeding them at some point.
1f60a.png
CORRECTION: that was Jimmy who told me that, but yes, I take it to heart from you as well. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom