The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Quote:
I can only give you my experience from growing up on a farm in Oklahoma. My uncles all raised chickens, and would tend to lean towards one of three varieties for whatever reason - Dominickers, Barred Rocks, and Rhode Island Red - depending on the uncle in question. These were raised in rural farm conditions - they were not kept penned for the most part, slept in coops or the rafters of barns, and provided the vast majority of their own feed by free ranging in the cow pastures or turned fields when corn or other crops were planted. Without going into a lengthy discussion of their relative merits and opinions - which were sometimes the subject of lively debate - I can tell you the similarities I saw between them.

First is ALL THREE had a rather aggressive bent to their personality. I do not know if this is a breed tendency, or an environmental factor of life on a rural farm, but you did not want to run through a flock of them or surprise them. If you walked calmly through them however you tended not to have a problem. I have seen more than one rooster set a hungry cat to running however so it is fair to say they can become aggressive if they feel provoked or threatened. I will say that for the most part none were too happy to be picked up and handled, unless that particular bird had been handled a lot from the time they hatched. I remember my uncles always wearing gloves when it was time to send them to freezer camp for this reason. Yet I also remember a huge rock rooster who thought he was my puppy, followed me everywhere, and loved to sit in my lap or beside me wherever I went. So I think there is a combination of both innate disposition as well as environment in this question.

Second is ALL THREE seem to do quite well in such surroundings, free ranging, and so forth. I could never tell a huge difference between them, possibly giving a slight nod to the dominickers, but all would work fine and served this purpose quite well.

Third they all layed well enough. Decent sized eggs, and probably 4 or 5 eggs a week out of 7 during the time they were laying. Not sure how many this amounts to per hen, but they always kept 40 or 50 so it was never an issue. There were always plenty of eggs. I think maybe the Rhode Island Reds had a small edge here, but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

Forth they were all eaten at the supper table. Again no surprise but the Barred Rocks seemed to do the best in this area by virtue of size if nothing else.

Fifth the OLDER hens would go sometimes go broody and become a living incubator. This didn't seem to hold true for the pullet year, but often would start showing on their second season. Pullets from known broody hens were often kept past the first year for this purpose. Good hens could be around for quite awhile it seemed, as a 2 legged incubator. So where you hear that some of these breeds never go broody - it just is not the case, at least from what I saw as a kid. It was however usually older hens that became the momma hens.

As far as noise goes - I couldn't see any difference. Roosters crowed. Period. Every morning. Sitting on the roof of the house. They would start blowing at the first hint of dawn. Didn't matter what kind. They would say hello to the dawn. Chickens tended not to be too noisy overall unless something was moving around - then there would be a ruckus.

Don't know if this helps - or if it is even relevant. My memories date back to the late 60's and the 1970's. At 2011 - there is a lot of water under the bridge from then to now. But if we are talking old heritage breeds - this is what I noticed when they were not nearly so old as they are today.

Last edited:
I got a email from a mother on my other computer yesterday wanting to know why her pet rooster wants to attach her grandaughter when she comes into the coop to gather eggs. After I returned the email and asked where she got her so called Rhode Island Reds from
she said a local feed store.

Again the reason these are hatchery reds.

Standard breed Rhode Island Reds the dark ones dont do this they light ones do and the breed gets the bad rap and these chickens arent even Rhode Island Reds they are production reds.

The problems seems to be endless

There is not a thing the grandmother can do but keep her grand child away from the rooster when he is in the pen with females. bob

I gotta agree with the Cowboy,

drop kick that sucker to the wall and it will stay away.

There is a double edged sword here, if, a breed is going to work as a free range bird which these all do, along with the Wyandottes the roosters especially will be protective of their harem. That goes with the traits.

Otoh, I have had roosters that also would follow me around, sit on my lap or shoulder and were like puppies. They do know who is their regular caretaker, often you have to introduce someone new, and clamp down on any aggressiveness.

My favorite breeds are the Wyandottes, RIRs, Orps and Rocks, all make excellent free rangers and some of the roosters will be pushy, so push back! They get the message. I had one RIR when I was a kid that was meaner then hell, but HE also brooded some kittens. Go figure. He saved his butt from the chicken and dumplings pot with that one.

Got a message from a beginner who has a chance to get a start of large Fowl Rhode Island Reds from a breeder. She was wondering how she should get started. How many birds should she buy. How to mate them and then what to do the second year.

I have a family who has two pair and have both mated up this year. They are going to toe punch one of the family's so they know which chicks are from which pair. Then the next year they are going to mate the best male to the best hen his Dam. The best two pullets from each mating will be mated back to their sires. I have another person I know who just got a pair this year at a show and will be breeding them much the same way but she is limited to crossing the birds two another pen in say three years. She is going to cross the best son to the hen and the best two pullets to the sire. The next year she is going to get a male or a pair from a breeder who has the same strain when the time comes.

Next I am going to try to get a few chicks from breeder A in the North and some eggs or chicks from Breeder B in the south and my goal is to cross the best male from strain A with the best female from Strain B the second year to give it a new shot of blood. Also, the lady above who has just a pair I hope to get one bird from her one day to cross into this line and give me another shot of blood that has not crossed into this line for over 20 years. The line originated from Mr. E W Reese in Georgia 23 years ago.

Thought I would try to get this thread back on the subject of Heritage Rhode Island Reds. Lets see if we can help those people who have the real ones and help them learn how to breed them most of all for color. I think the main reason so many give up Rhode Island Reds is in three to five years they messed up the color so bad that they give up.

If you raise the other kind of reds color is not a issue as they do not have this problem as they are raised for high egg production and not for color.

Lets see what you have. I often wonder how many of you have Rhode Island Reds and what matings you have this year.

Also, how many of you are planing to get into Standard Breed Rhode Island Reds. Remember I said Standard Breed not the light colored ones. Look forward to your replies. bob

So here I am again, with my "production strain" reds. These 4 cockerels I've retained are the best of the batch of 13. Sold the others to someone for free ranging meals.

They've only gotten chunkier, despite the up and down weather we've been having. A big suprise to me, but I'm very pleased with thier condition. They're all friendly, infact, whenever I've got a coffee can of food, they will follow me like puppy dogs
gig.gif

I've got one I think will make the best "sire" My intentions? Hatch a few chicks, grow em out, and see how they do. Maybe 20 or so... The only two hens I have are almost 3yrs old, not the best in quality, but one has the shape and personality, while the other has the stoutness, decent shape and low tail angle.

Here's the male I've got my eye on. We've named him Tank, as he's one solid boy. The pictures don't do him justice!
62442_picture_045.jpg

62442_145.jpg

62442_picture_049.jpg

62442_picture_057.jpg

Here's the two other boys (one was off galavanting in the bushes)
62442_picture_059.jpg

I guess I'm gonna hafta get pictures of the hens.. don't seem to have any on here that show anything...

For comparison, here's a picture of the cockerel in the first set of pictures, a short time ago... about a month ago I think
62442_img_2821.jpg

62442_img_2819.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, heres a few pictures of the hens.. they're nothing special, but they're what I've got...
Hen #1, Heathen
62442_picture_064.jpg

62442_picture_066.jpg

Hen #2 Turkey
62442_picture_067.jpg

62442_picture_068.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Not bad. Looks like a 50 50 cross see the dark horn color of the birds beaks.

The females have pretty good level backs and brick shape however they are light in color with the cross.

Better than most purchased. Sure look healthy you are a great chicken lady and that to me is more important than the skills of breeding. I think the main reason people give up on Reds as they just can not raise chickens.

bob

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom