The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/4/4f/900x900px-LL-4ff7108c_100_1693.jpeg

the first picture and picture 5 make me very happy on this strain. Those are some nice birds. I can see some of my old blood in this line but its still a mystery about what happen to this line five years ago. They went down hill like a rocket.

If you pick males like him and two or three females like the girls in picture one you will be breeding back up hill.

Dont worry about color on this line it wont fade for ten years just plow away at getting good brick shape and flat backs with that oblong body.

Dont cross them on any other line keep them pure and you will have a great group of birds. Share them with others that live 500 miles or more from your home and hope they keep them pure then exchange some birds with each other in five to eight years. You will be able to go on for many years.

I like the pictures of the bird posted and the little young Mohawks are true for their age.

Lots of nice dark dark dark true Heritage Rhode Island Reds. So you lurkers who come on to this thread who have the other 99% of Rhode Island Reds eat your heart out. However, most of you think yours are the true Rhode Island Reds and that's fine. However, this old mans eye knows better. You folks who have got the Heritage Rhode Island Reds keep up the good work. We need your help to keep this grand old breed a going. Remember you are in a minority in back yard chickens, however, you will be the sources in the future for others to get the Real Rhode Island Reds for years to come.

I bought some eggs several moths ago and they were supposed to be Heritage Red eggs but turned out to be Regular RIRs or Production Reds. I got more eggs after that from another source and the chicks turned out very nice and dark just like they should but I have no idea what line of birds they originated from. I am going to breed them to my Heritage boy who is a decendent from the EW Reese line as I was told when I bought him. I will keep 1 or 2 boys from that breeding. Here is my boy at 5/6 month old. The picture is not the greatest and does not do him justice. His legs and feet are darker than the pic shows With the brown coming up from his toes and up his legs.

Thanks Mr Blosl, Fogelly has a bunch from this line and they look amazing! I think he has done very well with selective breeding this past year and he has a very good eye. He has sold some chicks this past year to a man in Texas so we may be able to do as you recommend. But it would be nice to know if anyone else still has some of the Ricky Bates line? I know myself, Fogelly, HAR and a man in Texas. But I am sure there are more that received some after Mr. Bates passing.

http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/4/4f/900x900px-LL-4ff7108c_100_1693.jpeg

the first picture and picture 5 make me very happy on this strain. Those are some nice birds. I can see some of my old blood in this line but its still a mystery about what happen to this line five years ago. They went down hill like a rocket.

If you pick males  like him and two or three females like the girls in picture one you will be breeding back up hill.
A
Dont worry about color on this line it wont fade for ten years just plow away at getting good brick shape and flat backs with that oblong body.

Dont cross them on any other line keep them pure and you will have a great group of birds. Share them with others that live 500 miles or more from your home and hope they keep them pure then exchange some birds with each other in five to eight years. You will be able to go on for many years.

I like the pictures of the bird posted and the little young Mohawks are true for their age.

Lots of nice dark dark dark true Heritage Rhode Island Reds. So you lurkers who come on to this thread who have the other 99% of Rhode Island Reds eat your heart out. However, most of you think yours are the true Rhode Island Reds and that's fine. However, this old mans eye knows better. You folks who have got the Heritage Rhode Island Reds keep up the good work. We need your help to keep this grand old breed a going. Remember you are in a minority in back yard chickens, however, you will be the sources in the future for others to get the Real Rhode Island Reds for years to come.

Bob,
Thanks for the commits on 202's birds. She does a very good job taking care of her birds and I was glad to get her started with RIR.

I have been working real hard on this line, hatching lots of chicks and keeping good records. It has been a very fun trip. I kept around thirty from this spring(hatched 90+)I will be selecting keepers from them this fall.
I did cull several pullets because of fluffy back (red rock look)
My record keeping has helped me point this to a particular mating, which I will not make again.

There are many other things I have learned, it would almost fill a book.

I have a feeling there will be couple out of this batch that are going to be very close to looking like the pictures Ricky sent to you a few years ago. I am already looking forward to the next generation!

Thanks for your continued help and support.

Ron

Last edited:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/katz0556/2012 Chickens/?action=view&current=red_l_k.jpg
Here is two males you need to down load into your computer or print them out if you have the Ricky Bates line. These two males where Ricky's first hatch males and they were very nice, long in body, flat backs, extended keels, and great color just very nice birds and try to look for males with these features. They are there in this line pulling for you and you just got to put breeding pressure on these traits.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23032938

lots of pictures. Leghorns anyone???

There is also a small flock near me of Ricky Bates/Fogelly line. He is 14 but we are assisting him.

Last edited:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/katz0556/2012 Chickens/?action=view&current=red_l_k.jpg
Here is two males you need to down load into your computer or print them out if you have the Ricky Bates line. These two males where Ricky's first hatch males and they were very nice, long in body, flat backs, extended keels, and great color just very nice birds and try to look for males with these features. They are there in this line pulling for you and you just got to put breeding pressure on these traits.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23032938

lots of pictures. Leghorns anyone???

Quote: I forwarded the information to Jimmy. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom