The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I agree, many people I know that show birds will show some birds and if they place well in the show the birds will be used breeders and the breeder will sell the offspring of the winners but will probably keep the best to show.

Lot of breeders that show do not want to take the birds from a show because they do not want to take a chance on taking disease home.

Breeder fowl and show fowl would be entirely different. If the show fowl looks good, would be better to buy what produced them instaed.

Here is a question to those of you that regulary show your birds.

I have made arrangements with a top breeder to buy the birds he is showing at lucasville.
I would think as a breeder he would use his best birds in this show.
I would also have thought he would refuse to sell these birds, and instead use them for his breeders for his next years hatch.
What am I misunderstanding about breeding and showing?
Some breeders never show their breeder stock. They take the offspring. If it is what they want to breed from, they move it from their show pens to their breeder pens. Some feel so strong about biosecurity that when a bird leaves their farm it never returns. I would say your breeder is one of them.

I know one or two people who show & none of them hesitate to bring birds back home after they have been shown. I have, in fact, never heard anyone express the belief that they should only show a bird once & then dispose of that bird rather than bring it back home. Often times a successful bird is shown several times before it is retired to the breeding pen or shown.
There may be cases where a breeder bird isn't shown as there are cases where a good breeder isn't a good show bird.

If I understand what I've heard Bob Blosi talk about here, many top breeders don't keep hundreds of birds through the fall and winter. The cost of feed it rough on everyone. Just those very select birds, for next year's breeding. If I had to get rid of a dozen really top birds, taking them to a show and selling them, might just be the very best way to do it. No?

I won't claim to be a top breeder but I have had a little success. I kept 6 Reds over last winter to breed from. This year I hatched about 75 & will be keeping no more than 6-8 of them. Two of last years breeders are destined for the freezer. Some of the ones I will be selling are certainly show worthy but you can't show them all.
Last year someone who I do see as a top breeder sold me the Golden Campines he showed at Lucasville-he had more at home.

Last edited:
I won't claim to be a top breeder but I have had a little success. I kept 6 Reds over last winter to breed from. This year I hatched about 75 & will be keeping no more than 6-8 of them. Two of last years breeders are destined for the freezer. Some of the ones I will be selling are certainly show worthy but you can't show them all.
Last year someone who I do see as a top breeder sold me the Golden Campines he showed at Lucasville-he had more at home.
NYREDS,
Just wondering, do you replace all your breeders every year or part of them or....Just trying to get a feel for what a normal routine for a breeder such as yourself might be.

Thanks,
Chris

I would say there could be many reason why a person would sell the birds that they show at a show. A few would be that they need some money, they are not there best birds, they may show well but they won't help the direction they are trying to breed. I also know that alot of people including me will agree to sell someone a trio and rather than keeping them in the back of the truck all weekend for $2-$3 you can have them in a comfortable cage where you can feed and water them easily. Also sometime people will tell you they are coming to buy birds from you and don't show up so there again they are more comfortable in a show pen then in the back of the truck. There are many other reasons but I wouldn't be suspicious of this behavior as it is very common among show people.
The one thought that I would think would be the most unlikely is someone fearing taking a disease home. I show a lot and know a bunch of people that do and I don't know anyone that would gives that a second thought. Your birds have less of a chance of getting a disease at a show than they do at home from wild birds.

Last edited:
I would say there could be many reason why a person would sell the birds that they show at a show. A few would be that they need some money, they are not there best birds, they may show well but they won't help the direction they are trying to breed. I also know that alot of people including me will agree to sell someone a trio and rather than keeping them in the back of the truck all weekend for $2-$3 you can have them in a comfortable cage where you can feed and water them easily. Also sometime people will tell you they are coming to buy birds from you and don't show up so there again they are more comfortable in a show pen then in the back of the truck. There are many other reasons but I wouldn't be suspicious of this behavior as it is very common among show people.
The one thought that I would think would be the most unlikely is someone fearing taking a disease home. I show a lot and know a bunch of people that do and I don't know anyone that would gives that a second thought. Your birds have less of a chance of getting a disease at a show than they do at home from wild birds.

I always try to enter a couple of "extra" birds. This leaves me empty show coops. At Shawnee, OK 2010 someone gave Jacob a call drake. We placed him in an empty hole near Jacobs trio of Buckeye bantams. Then I bought a Buff Leghorn bantam hen. placed her there as well. We placed BV/BB on both! The judge just judged them, marked the coop tags and went on.

Exactly OR your feed store
wink.png

Jeff

The birds must be bathed before showing and also have been tested NPIP. If show person does not have the NPIP certification then there are testers that will test the birds when they are brought in the morning of the show during a time period before the show starts.

Back
Top Bottom