The Hidden Door-A Role Play (AKA The Most Dangerous Coffee Shop II)

Cam skipped to the water, staring into it. “It’s very pretty,” she said. It was so pretty and clear, and she was so thirsty. Her mom always told her to not drink out of lakes, but she hadn’t drank in a long time, after digging in the garden.
Cam gulped down more and more water, having absolutely no self control.
The day had been so exciting. Her mom taught her how to dig holes and plant seeds. “But seeds take time to grow. It will take a few days before you see sprouts.”
“It will?” Cam asked sadly. A few days seemed like forever.
“Unless you have powers like this,” her grandfather said. “Here, I’ll show you.” He curled an arm around Cam and whispered to the soil. “Grow, little seed,” he said. A tiny sprout popped up from the soil, the seed casing still attached.
“Woah,” Cam said, clapping her hands. “Grow, little seed,” she whispered to the soil.
Nothing happened.
“Honey,” her mother said. “It normally takes years for an ability like that to...”
“Grow, little seed,” Cam said again, squeezing her eyes shut and imagining a seedling popping from the soil.
A seedling curled out of the soil.
Her mother and her grandfather shared a glance. A glance only parents usually only shared.
“Cam, that was very good,” her mother smiled. Hugging her.
“It took me years of cultivation before I could spontaneously grow things like that. You’re five, and already powerful. It’s unheard of to already manifest this early. Your powers will only grow stronger. It’s possible... that you will become one of the strongest people with your abilities,” her grandfather said, green eyes twinkling in the crinkly, papery skin of his face.
And then, Cam’s grandfather turned her towards the huge silver maple trees and elms. To tell them to reach deeper and drink water. He also taught her how to give it a handshake.
Cam’s mother spoke encouragingly the whole time.
It was amazing, doing all that in the warm spring morning. And now she was here.
“Grandpa?” Cam asked, drinking the water. The water was good. It helped her feel better.
Then Cam lay back, staring up at the stars. There was no moon, but green and red lights shimmered overhead like Christmas lights, weaving between the sparkling stars like ribbons.
“The northern lights!” she exclaimed. “Aurora Borealis!”

Noah squished his face into the bars again, wondering if this new guard would be nicer. "I have to go to the bathroom!" he shouted. The guard had odd grey skin, black hair, and broad shoulders. Nothing about him made Noah hopeful that he would take pity on his small emergency.

"So it's 2020. January 7th. Well, the future is definitely very different," Kyle joked, a smile cracking the corner of his thin lips. He began pacing and tapping his fingers on his thighs. They felt itchy, itchy for a sensation he didn't recognize. Why do I feel like my ADHD is worse than usual?
A forlorn, Cam-abandoned kitten stood in the clearing. "I should probably go rescue poor Rylie," he decided, running over to the kitten.

Chion broke her eyes away from Fred, Noah had once again stuck his head through the bars to antagonize the guard. She didnt understand why they were so impatient to get out. Maybe they have a good reason and they have to escape now.

She looked back at Fred, he hadn't responded yet to her outburst, but what could he say anyway. Chion sighed, she could tell they weren't going to give up until they were out of here, or incapable of trying to escape. She scowled up a Fred and then stuck her hand out taking his hand and waiting. She didn't know how else to show she'd help, so she stood there waiting for him to lead.

“It’s okay..” Take whispered. He already accepted the fact that he’ll never have parents of his own, unlike Blair, feeling a sense of envy when she mentioned hers. He sighed and scooted himself closer to the water, his throat feeling dry from all the talking. Feeling that the intense heat from his hands had faded away, he put his arms back through his sleeves and cupped up some water with his no longer glowing hands. He brought the clear, pure water up to his lips and drank until none remained in his palms.
Blair gave a little sigh, and scooted herself away from him and went over to the water carefully. The water was impossibly clear, and she could see her reflection in it clearly. She dipped her hands into the water, curling her fingers tightly and bringing it to her lips. She drank deeply, and kept drinking, cupping the water and bringing it to her mouth repeatedly until her thirst was completely quenched.
The water was clear and pure unlike Boston's city water. But it made her feel strange, like she was being compressed and stretched at the same time, strange memories filling her head, but they all added up as the water caused her to grow older, not back to eighteen, but to eight or nine years old.

Blair gave a little sigh, and scooted herself away from him and went over to the water carefully. The water was impossibly clear, and she could see her reflection in it clearly. She dipped her hands into the water, curling her fingers tightly and bringing it to her lips. She drank deeply, and kept drinking, cupping the water and bringing it to her mouth repeatedly until her thirst was completely quenched.
The water was clear and pure unlike Boston's city water. But it made her feel strange, like she was being compressed and stretched at the same time, strange memories filling her head, but they all added up as the water caused her to grow older, not back to eighteen, but to eight or nine years old.
Take continued drinking from the lake, taking in handfuls until he felt completely quenched. By drinking the sweet, crystal clear water, it made him feel odd, like something was stretching him out, but it was faint. His mindset was slowly changing, to one that was more brash and rebellious as he aged up to fourteen. He glanced at Blair, who seemed to look a little older, “Hey. Weren’t you like, five before?” he glared intensely, his deeper voice cracking midway. His remaining scrapes had healed, leaving him unscathed as if he was never hurt in the first place. He didn’t feel as weak as before, no longer appearing as the diffident eleven year old from moments ago. The water is making us grow older? Hell, I don’t want to turn into some wrinkly old man..

Take continued drinking from the lake, taking in handfuls until he felt completely quenched. By drinking the sweet, crystal clear water, it made him feel odd, like something was stretching him out, but it was faint. His mindset was slowly changing, to one that was more brash and rebellious as he aged up to fourteen. He glanced at Blair, who seemed to look a little older, “Hey. Weren’t you like, five before?” he glared intensely, his deeper voice cracking midway. His remaining scrapes had healed, leaving him unscathed as if he was never hurt in the first place. He didn’t feel as weak as before, no longer appearing as the diffident eleven year old from moments ago. The water is making us grow older? Hell, I don’t want to turn into some wrinkly old man..
Blair was no longer bleeding, her wounds healed and scarred over. However, she was wearing a t-shirt now and there were scars on her arms, newly healed and looking like bite marks. She swung her head to face him, crossing her arms and trying to cover the scarring. "Yes," she muttered, wincing away from his cold glare. "I was six... but I'm...ten, now." She murmured, and glanced into the water.
She felt ten, but she still had memories of being older then she was. "That water...I think. It's magic. Like something from a fairytale, maybe... it's making us older."

"Bro, I ain't ever have anything planned. Figuring out how I'm gonna avoid my parents at home and bullies at school is enough for me." Lilith laughed, before shrugging. "I don't really care, don't see why I have to be talked to any less for just being a kid." She said, glancing back down.

(It would've crossed over to the 7th by now, right? So like, 12:30 AM?)
Lilith jumped a little when he spoke, before settling when her eyes locked onto the small man. "...Yeah. The original picture said it was January 6th, 2020. And it was of older, er, versions of him--" She gave a jerky motion towards Kevin. "--and my friend Kylan, and a girl named Aria." She said, before raising her camera to her eye and snapping a picture of the little man and Kevin, suppressing herself from a snicker as she realized the size difference.
She looked down at the photo, checking the date. "January 7th, 2020." She murmured, shaking her head before looking back up at them. "Have I been in a coma or something? That would mean I'm eighteen."
Chion broke her eyes away from Fred, Noah had once again stuck his head through the bars to antagonize the guard. She didnt understand why they were so impatient to get out. Maybe they have a good reason and they have to escape now.

She looked back at Fred, he hadn't responded yet to her outburst, but what could he say anyway. Chion sighed, she could tell they weren't going to give up until they were out of here, or incapable of trying to escape. She scowled up a Fred and then stuck her hand out taking his hand and waiting. She didn't know how else to show she'd help, so she stood there waiting for him to lead.
(Yo, the water doesn’t do that people. After you already drank from it, you stay the same. Drinking more water does help you have to go to the bathroom more tho.)

Kyle patted the kitten, who nuzzled him. The weird emptiness he had felt was filled, and he dug his fingers into the soft fur. “You’ll be okay, Rylie,” he said reassuringly. A rumbling purr rattled through the kitten’s small body, and the sensations opened up new memories for Kyle, memories of riding Rylie through streets, sleeping beneath the stars, and a great deal of bugs for some reason. Also a coffee shop owner, smiling at him.
What does Will Laurel have to do with Rylie?
“We’ll be through a lot together in the future, won’t we, Rylie?” Kyle asked. He wasn’t sure how he knew all these things, but he knew that adopting this kitten was clearly an important turning point in his mundane life.

“Huh, that’s a good point.” Kevin replied. And we’re back to square one. “This might be weird, but... maybe we were transported to a different time? Maybe we somehow got taken into the future. I doubt it’s possible, but growing up my mother would tell me and my siblings stories of stuff like that happening...”
Lilith frowned as her brows furrowed. "I don't know... I've never thought something like that would be possible. I guess it'd account for everything going on, I mean, I ain't got any better ideas." She shrugged. "But who'd have enough power to do something like that? And why? I don't know about you, but last time I checked, I'm a pretty unconcerning kid from a small family in Kentucky."
“You know, I don’t know how I know about May or that you live in Kentucky or how you know about me living in Australia but I really like this place except the fact I have no idea how any of this works” Aria explained her big eyes serious. “Lilith swears I’m in a photo she has but there is a nasty green wound on my arm in the photo but all I have there is this scar” she twisted her arm to show a raw red scar on her arm. “Anyway I think I somehow shrunk. Maybe by magic? I’m not sure. Everyone tells me I’m crazy when I say I believe in magic but we both have magical powers do we not? What’s to stop there being other types of magic”. Aria felt hot tears start to slide down her cheeks “nobody listens to me. Not even Samantha which is odd because I though we were friends, mummy said that friends will hurt me so in reality I shouldn’t be friends with anyone. Not you, not even Lilith or Kevin. I need to keep to myself, why am I telling you all this?” Aria buried her head in her hands the tears flowing hard now. She walked over to the fountain drink the water. It makes you feel better. Aria dipped her hands in scooping up a palm full and sipping it slowly, the crystal water trickled down her throat soothing the raw burning pain that came from fighting back sobs. She dipped her hands in again scooping up more of the water. She smiled, she liked this water, she liked it a lot. “Good water” she said splashing it around a bit.
"What photo?" Kylan asked first, blinking in confusion at her sudden outburst. A feeling of sympathy and a strange need to protect her sprung up inside him as he stepped forward, sitting down beside her at the water. "I think magic could be real, I mean, how else would you explain our powers? They don't make sense, but we have them." He began slowly, trying to think about what he was about to say. "Some friends will hurt you, Ari. A lot of people will, but they just make you a better you. But there's also a lot of people that'll help you, and be kind to you. I've been bullied my entire life, and when I was little I made two friends, they've never failed me." He murmured sincerely, his eyes heartfelt. "Their names are Lilith and May, and they're some of my last hopes in humanity. May was my sister, and Lilith is my dad's best friend's daughter, and they're some of the best people you'll ever meet. We help each other and protect each other, even when we're sad and broken-- May had been sick and hurting and sad for so long, but she never left us. Neither did Lilith when she felt betrayed by everyone else, and like she was some freak that shouldn't be... Around, anymore." He smiled, hoping he was getting across to her. "What I mean by all this is, sure, plenty of people will hurt you, but plenty will cherish you. I've already gotten lucky with good people-- You're just waiting to. It'll happen, I promise."

Lilith frowned as her brows furrowed. "I don't know... I've never thought something like that would be possible. I guess it'd account for everything going on, I mean, I ain't got any better ideas." She shrugged. "But who'd have enough power to do something like that? And why? I don't know about you, but last time I checked, I'm a pretty unconcerning kid from a small family in Kentucky."

"What photo?" Kylan asked first, blinking in confusion at her sudden outburst. A feeling of sympathy and a strange need to protect her sprung up inside him as he stepped forward, sitting down beside her at the water. "I think magic could be real, I mean, how else would you explain our powers? They don't make sense, but we have them." He began slowly, trying to think about what he was about to say. "Some friends will hurt you, Ari. A lot of people will, but they just make you a better you. But there's also a lot of people that'll help you, and be kind to you. I've been bullied my entire life, and when I was little I made two friends, they've never failed me." He murmured sincerely, his eyes heartfelt. "Their names are Lilith and May, and they're some of my last hopes in humanity. May was my sister, and Lilith is my dad's best friend's daughter, and they're some of the best people you'll ever meet. We help each other and protect each other, even when we're sad and broken-- May had been sick and hurting and sad for so long, but she never left us. Neither did Lilith when she felt betrayed by everyone else, and like she was some freak that shouldn't be... Around, anymore." He smiled, hoping he was getting across to her. "What I mean by all this is, sure, plenty of people will hurt you, but plenty will cherish you. I've already gotten lucky with good people-- You're just waiting to. It'll happen, I promise."

“Maybe someone is. I know some very powerful people, my babushka is one of them. Although that wouldn’t explain why there’s such random people.” Kevin propped his chin on his hand, staring out at the water. He was starting to run out of ideas.

“Of course I’m alive,” Cam said, hugging her back, squeezing tight. “But where am I? Where’s Mom? And Grandpa? Wait,” she said, looking her up and down. The girl was streaming wet, like her. “Did you almost drown? Did I? No.” She squashed her cheeks between her fingers. “I was in the garden.”
Cam skipped to the water, staring into it. “It’s very pretty,” she said. It was so pretty and clear, and she was so thirsty. Her mom always told her to not drink out of lakes, but she hadn’t drank in a long time, after digging in the garden.
Cam gulped down more and more water, having absolutely no self control.
The day had been so exciting. Her mom taught her how to dig holes and plant seeds. “But seeds take time to grow. It will take a few days before you see sprouts.”
“It will?” Cam asked sadly. A few days seemed like forever.
“Unless you have powers like this,” her grandfather said. “Here, I’ll show you.” He curled an arm around Cam and whispered to the soil. “Grow, little seed,” he said. A tiny sprout popped up from the soil, the seed casing still attached.
“Woah,” Cam said, clapping her hands. “Grow, little seed,” she whispered to the soil.
Nothing happened.
“Honey,” her mother said. “It normally takes years for an ability like that to...”
“Grow, little seed,” Cam said again, squeezing her eyes shut and imagining a seedling popping from the soil.
A seedling curled out of the soil.
Her mother and her grandfather shared a glance. A glance only parents usually only shared.
“Cam, that was very good,” her mother smiled. Hugging her.
“It took me years of cultivation before I could spontaneously grow things like that. You’re five, and already powerful. It’s unheard of to already manifest this early. Your powers will only grow stronger. It’s possible... that you will become one of the strongest people with your abilities,” her grandfather said, green eyes twinkling in the crinkly, papery skin of his face.
And then, Cam’s grandfather turned her towards the huge silver maple trees and elms. To tell them to reach deeper and drink water. He also taught her how to give it a handshake.
Cam’s mother spoke encouragingly the whole time.
It was amazing, doing all that in the warm spring morning. And now she was here.
“Grandpa?” Cam asked, drinking the water. The water was good. It helped her feel better.
Then Cam lay back, staring up at the stars. There was no moon, but green and red lights shimmered overhead like Christmas lights, weaving between the sparkling stars like ribbons.
“The northern lights!” she exclaimed. “Aurora Borealis!”
Nat wobbled after her new friend, her airy consciousness still bobbing at the top of her body. She was pretty sure she didn't know the dark-skinned girl, but then again, she was also pretty sure she had just been drowning in the Atlantic Ocean just off of Old Orchard Beach. So...she wasn't too sure she should be sure of any surety.
She let her rubbery legs give out and drop her on the shore beside the other girl. "Woah," she managed after following the wondering gaze, then immediately started choking. Okay, so maybe laying down wasn't the best idea. She sat up on her knees and smacked herself on the back a few times for good measure. "Aren't you supposed to see that way up North?"

"Healing water!" Aella snapped her fingers suddenly, looking at Maya hopefully. "Yes. That's what we need." She nodded, resuming her pacing but in a straight line. "Where? How do you get there? How do we get everyone there? Is it safe? Are you sure it isn't dangerous or cursed or something?"
After Hana's nap, she finally awoke, glancing around at those who remained. She felt somewhat relieved that the fire girl and now shirtless spanish speaking boy didn't abandon those who were hurt. She stood up sluggishly, having regained some of her energy as she slept, but her body desperately needed water. Before she slipped into her nap, she vaguely remembered the direction where the couple disappeared off to. Hana walked up to the pacing Aella, pointing to the line of trees where Take and Blair went through. "Those two from earlier, the couple.. I heard the boy mention water, and I'm guessing they went through there to get to it.." she murmured. For all she knew, it was a clue, useless or not. Plus, the others never returned for them, leaving the small group vulnerable to any other creatures that stalked them in the darkness.

Back
Top Bottom