The History Channel Scares Me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
So if you are in an area where such is a risk, you prepare for longer than 2 weeks.

But the folks prepared for the apocalypse? Paranoid. People prepared for a complete societal breakdown? Paranoid. People prepared for the guv'mint man to come round them up? Paranoid. No, beyond paranoia, that's well into phobia-ville.

The reason the prices on that kind of stuff is going up is because of all the fear-mongering going around.

I am prepared for a disaster. Possibly over-prepared because I buy a lot of stuff in bulk and have a large garden + meat/egg birds. I hear people talking about their stockpiles of ammunition because they know their neighbors are going to be desperate for food and I can't help buy look at them with contempt. If my neighbors only prepped for a week and the disaster lasts two weeks, no way in hell am I going to let them go hungry or shoot at them if they come to me needing food.

Because eventually the lights come back on, and shines on what you did in the darkness.

Im sure people were called parinoid untill Germany started rounding people up.

Im sure people were called parinoid after 300 years of peace in the americas an when the revolution broke out.
Im sure people were called parinoid after 100 years of peace an then the US burned atlanta.
Im sure people were called parinoid after 80 years of peace an then Japan atacked.
Now 70 years later here we are, thinking we are above the troubles of the rest of the world an those that are prepared are again called paronoid.

I am with rebel on this one.

Its a wonder how the word "paranoia" gets thrown around any time someone says something about thinking ahead. A large part of our food crop is is being killed by a freek cold snap across the south as we speak an that word is still being used.

Exactly.

I have seeds, a food stash (I think I am up to about 6 months worth by now), quail and ducks. Do I think the world will end in 2012? No. Do I think there is some kind of religious end time on the way? No. I am prepping because, like was mentioned earlier, blizzard season is just around the corner in Colorado. We get them in February and March. I also think hyper inflation is a real possibility.

As for what it will be doing on December 12, 2012...that is my 26th wedding anniversary
big_smile.png

Personally I dont think its the end of the world. I do think tho that the calendar on that date was an end of sorts. The end of an era, where a new age begins. We have the Iron age, the Dark ages, etc... I think that this is all it is.

People seem to like to panic it seems...

Last edited:
Quote:
There are people who have outright stated that they are stockpiling ammo for 'defense against their unprepared neighbors'. Lived next door to one such idiot during the y2k thing. Should have seen the tantrum he had when, after flat out telling us that if we came begging when 'the world ended' he'd shoot us down like dogs, we stopped welcoming him to BBQs and the like. I have seen a few similar ideas expressed on this forum, it nearly prevented me from joining this forum at all. Instead I just decided to ignore the folks who spouted such nonsense rather than let a few nutcases spoil a nice area.

Im sure people were called parinoid after 300 years of peace in the americas an when the revolution broke out.
Im sure people were called parinoid after 100 years of peace an then the US burned atlanta.
Im sure people were called parinoid after 80 years of peace an then Japan atacked.
Now 70 years later here we are, thinking we are above the troubles of the rest of the world an those that are prepared are again called paronoid.

Yeah, that's the kind of paranoia I am talking about. The actual belief that anything going on in the US is in any way comparable to Nazi Germany. That paranoia. I could easily go through and point out bit by bit that there wasn't 300, 100, or 80 years of peace involved in any of those by any stretch of the imagination and the incredible differences between the US (republic) and Germany (dictatorship), but I have the feeling that such would be lost on anyone who actually believes what you have stated above.

There are people in the US with legitimate reasons to be afraid. Ironically, the type of person such like the y2k idiot I referenced above are actually the reason those people have a legitimate reason to be afraid. Kind of sad that the people most convinced that the government is going to round them up think that way because they know that if they were in power, they'd be rounding up people they didn't like.​

Well, if you have no preparations at all, a natural disaster could seriously be a problem for you and your family. Do you need to build a bunker? No...but yu do need to asses what can happen in your area.

Midwest? Tornados and blizzards
West? Blizzard and flash floods
West Coast? Earth Quake and wild fires
East Coast? Hurricanes

If something happened, would you be able to take care of you and yours or would you be a burden on the system?

In Colorado Springs about 10 years ago a flash flood knocked out the electric service to my area. We had no electricity for 2 weeks. My insistence on having camping gear (hubby hates camping) and full propane tanks for the grill saved us a lot of headaches. We used the Coleman lantern and grilled. I think the only thing I had to rush out and buy was a chunk of dry ice for the freezer.

A lot of neighbors had to scramble. Batteries were sold out at every store for 20 miles.

(Speaking of batteries, I bought myself a new hand crank lantern for Christmas)

So yeah...be prepared but don't panic.

Quote:
There are people who have outright stated that they are stockpiling ammo for 'defense against their unprepared neighbors'. Lived next door to one such idiot during the y2k thing. Should have seen the tantrum he had when, after flat out telling us that if we came begging when 'the world ended' he'd shoot us down like dogs, we stopped welcoming him to BBQs and the like. I have seen a few similar ideas expressed on this forum, it nearly prevented me from joining this forum at all. Instead I just decided to ignore the folks who spouted such nonsense rather than let a few nutcases spoil a nice area.

Yeah, that's the kind of paranoia I am talking about. The actual belief that anything going on in the US is in any way comparable to Nazi Germany. That paranoia. I could easily go through and point out bit by bit that there wasn't 300, 100, or 80 years of peace involved in any of those by any stretch of the imagination and the incredible differences between the US (republic) and Germany (dictatorship), but I have the feeling that such would be lost on anyone who actually believes what you have stated above.

There are people in the US with legitimate reasons to be afraid. Ironically, the type of person such like the y2k idiot I referenced above are actually the reason those people have a legitimate reason to be afraid. Kind of sad that the people most convinced that the government is going to round them up think that way because they know that if they were in power, they'd be rounding up people they didn't like.​

Germany was a republic an Hitler all tho not actualy elected by the majority vote he did gain power threw the election prosses. A prosses that is alot like ours. But then I study history so I must be paranoid.

Wife..add blizzard/ice storm condtions on the East Coast..
last year we had a hum-dinger of an ice storm here..
some lost electricity for a long time..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom