The History Channel Scares Me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Picky Chicky

Songster
11 Years
Sep 22, 2008
Holly Grove, VA
I promise I'm not trying to open up a can of worms with this topic, but I'm look for some warm fuzzies and just some humble & comforting opinions - I don't want this to develop into any religious debates as I'm only looking for guidance from all my chicken buddies.

Despite my attempts to ignore the all "the talk", I couldn't seem to pry myself away from a History Channel show last night. The show was focused around the whole "2012" debate and the world ending or having some apocolyptic aftermath. To be honest with you guys, it started getting me a little nervous. I finally had to force myself to switch channels because I got so overcome with anxiety that I was about ready to start pricing out backyard bunkers.
roll.png

I keep finding myself thinking: Should I get more chickens... extra provisionings closer to time... or maybe start a garden and try to become more self-sufficient? And then I started thinking, if December 21, 2012 really is the end-all-be-all, am I spiritually ready? Probably not.

I have a Christian upbringing, but admittedly I think I'm Agnostic. I believe there is a God - but who am I to say who that God truly is and what history/stories are real? I pray to God... sometimes, and I hope I'm heard, but in my mind I don't really affiliate that being with one certain religion. I always have hoped that by believing there is something after this world, and trying to be a good person, that the "real God" won't go all Puritan on me and send me to a firey prison for eternity - just because of my religious naivity. I believe faith comes within me and not within a building, but I'm starting to worry that it's just not enough. I won't even go into the anxiety I have of my 8 year old DD - I worry the most about her well being both here and in the after.

So what can I do to calm my anxieties? What's your take on all of this 2012 hubbub? Or have you all been more successful in ignoring it all? I used to be better at not letting these types of things get to me... and then I became a Mother and now I worry about everything.
sickbyc.gif

Thanks all... hopefully the mods will let this thread stay open - if even just for a few comforting responses.

The History Channel tends to blow things out of proportion and give one sided opinions on many subjects. I watch the shows on that channel for entertainment, not facts. It is up to each of us to take what we hear and decide if it is true or false. The best way to do that is research. Most people don't have the time to research every topic that makes us think (this is understanable) so that leaves us wondering "will it happen, is it true?"

Remember y2k? Every computer in the world was going to crash? The history channel likes to scare us and be all doom and gloom.

My advice is to make a survival kit. Not just for 2012 but for any natural disaster. It does not hurt to be preparred, but the time may never come when you will need to "survive."

I dont have a lot of advice because I have been successful in ignoring the 2012 hype. As a matter of fact, I wont be checking back on this thread because it will undoubtedly teach me more about 2012 and I dont want to know...

I dont mean for that to sound 'cheeky' I just cant deal with any anxiety causing issues. My meds control my life quite nicely right now so I have no interest in adding something new to worry about.

As a mom, I worry about my kids in the same way so my comforting thought for you is that Heavenly Father must worry about all of his children too and He will take care of us...all of us.

hugs.gif

If I'm not mistaken the whole 2012 thing is based on the predictions of the Mayan calendar. Considering they couldn't predict the Aztec's all but annihilating their backsidees I'm not putting much stock in it.

There have been countless end of days predictions from Nostradamus and others which we've sailed through unscathed, so don't let a group of people that died off get to you;)

Quote:
Also, I read that the reason that there calender ended at 2012 was not because it was the end of the world but because it was simply where they chose to stop. Think about it logically. Were the Mayans supposed to keep going into infinity with their calender? 2012 was just a convenient stopping place for them that was far, far, far off into their future.

If you made a calender that went forward into several years, you would have to stop somewhere also. You can't count the years into infinity.

I love the History Channel but they are often biased and one sided. Watch the History Channel for entertainment and perhaps a starting place to get you interested in a historical event. Do not watch it without a lot of skepticism.

Thanks again for all the warm fuzzies...
smile.png

I agree with popcornpuppy that The History Channel (as well as most other channels) does seem to enjoy airing shows that like to blow things out of proportion. With that thought in mind, I decided to "Wiki" 2012, and I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon. I found the opening summary more comforting...

"Meanwhile, astronomers and other natural scientists have rejected the apocalyptic forecasts, on the grounds that the anticipated events are precluded by astronomical observations, or are unsubstantiated by the predictions that have been generated from these findings.[9] NASA likens fears about 2012 to those about the Y2K bug in the late 1990s, suggesting that an adequate analysis should stem fears of disaster."

i will try to keep this very generic so as to not start a firey thread. I have some issues with the Discovery and History channels myself. When they get to talking about the millions of years stuff I have to turn the channel. There really isn't much to watch these days as there is so much garbage on T.V. I ususally switch between the History, Discovery, Animal, and Country Music channels. Normal T.V. is totally wierd except when sports events are on, especially the Colts (Go Colts). I totally believe every word of the Bible. Some of it I don't understand, but the "other side" (and I once believed all the stuff the "other side" teaches) makes even less sense to me. 2012 won't be the end. The prophesies haven't all been fulfilled yet so you can rest easy, but I can see the end times forming with the start of Isreal becoming a country again in 1948. No one knows when the end will come of course, but someday, it will come. People believe there are different Truths and we can believe anything we want and be ok. But, there can be only one Truth. I hope you find it. I was a total non-believer, and a very Worldly person for most of my life. I went through some troubles, picked up a Bible, and started reading the Gospels. I found Jesus, started reading and researching him. and my life was changed. that's just me. I'm I'm sure there will be many who will refute anything I say or think, but that's ok. It is their life. I try to help when I can. It sounds like you are seeking something. My suggestion to you would be to get an NIV Bible and read the Gospels, starting with John, then Mathew. Learn who Jesus is, check him out, and see if you can discover if he really is what the bible says he is, and who he claims to be. He had to be either a liar, a lunatic, or He really is who He claimed to be. I found that He really is who he claims to be. Take Care and have a wonderful time in your search.

They are talking about the Aztec / Myan Calendar right? If so it is my understanding that that was not when they predicted the world would end just when they were going to start the calendar over again.

Now do I think that something is gonna happen in a few years that will turn our lives upside down, YES I do. Not sure what it will be i.e.: natural, chemical, terrorist but I have built my own survival kits and have a good stock of weapons, and a plan (directions) on our escape from my area with 4 different routes out of the NY area. I also have gas can I keep filled and change every 6 months and a tod of survival plans and items.

Will it help, I sure hope so but who know could have been just a waste of my time and money but it makes me feel safer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom