The Honey Factory

Technically. However mid March we are getting 60°F here and it seems like a dumb time to die. Last January we had -40°F windchill and they survived that. There was still honey in the hive. I think they got wet and then chilled in the colder overnight temps.

I have a bunch of bees outside the hive. Dead, of course, some close some as far as 20 ft from the hive.

I would guess close to 100. I am really starting to think they won’t be making it over winter. Seems like a lot of dead bees.

I am not sure it has been above freezing at all.

I have a bunch of bees outside the hive. Dead, of course, some close some as far as 20 ft from the hive.

I would guess close to 100. I am really starting to think they won’t be making it over winter. Seems like a lot of dead bees.

I am not sure it has been above freezing at all.
You probably started with well over 100,000 live bees. 100 dead ones is nothing.

I guess I have been lucky or done something right . My hives are doing ok . I did not follow the standard recommendations . Then again I have been in and out of bees for 50 years . Dad had bees from 1958 - 1964 . I helped when I was old enough . Dad only fed in late winter . Back then people believed feral bees were inferior . Now just the opposite . No mites back then . So a lot has changed and information is easy to get . I feel my trapped swarms are from winter survivors . A plus . I feel by not feeding in the fall the bees slowed brood production on their schedule . So June hive had I 1/2 deep boxes in use and the July hive just 5 frames . Both still have honey stores . So I feel bees and stores are well balanced . No large amount of dead bees . I worry about the small hive but 5 frame nucs survive all the time . This is working for me .
I did treat for mites in December by the dribble method . Without doing a mite count .

Found this .

Been hearing that the Bees are dying off in my area, One old-time Beekeeper lost 50 hives, another lost 20 & the one who said he lost 50 told me that not far from here a man lost 800 hives & is out of business today. They said it was a new kind of virus & don't know where it came from, how it started & how to fight it. They also said that it jumps & skips some areas. I'm praying that it skips my yard. So now might be the time to get a lot of hives? I hope that I am wrong but who knows.

I am going to give the Saskatraz one more chance. I ordered a package from Mann Lake. I also ordered a package of Italians from Tractor Supply. Both will be shipped Next Day Air via UPS. The closest that I could pick up package bees is far enough away that Next Day Air via UPS is cheaper than I could drive to pick them up. That and UPS delivers them right to my door.

Back
Top Bottom