The hubby wants to join the airforce.. -_-

Quote:
Well, how about if he enlists by himself to try it out. When he flunks out or gets kicked out he can come home. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong - can you flunk out of the military?)

If he doesn't flunk out and manages to make a career out of it, then you can specify how you want to be housed.

One of my major concerns is our debt. We are still paying for our house, and have other major bills along with medical bills. My ex was in the army before we even had a war and he hardly got any sort of income from them. He had to live in a trailer park, would be called away for weeks at a time and it was very hard on me and him both, mostly our relationship took the blunt force of it.

Quote:
Does he lack focus? Does he often have ideas but never sticks with them? Is he impulsive about other things?

Yes lol. He wants to try everything. But never gets very far in it. After he finished high school he started college and didn't know what he wanted to do so he skipped a bunch of classes, failed and never studied then just quit. Then he wanted to work with computers, so I signed him up for classes and he didn't even read the books and quit it faster then he had quit the first trip to college. The only thing he completes is video games.

He actually sounds like he would benefit immensely from joining as long as HE realizes he is going to be told what/when/where/how all the time. It was the direction and discipline I needed. Sometimes being told what to do builds character, he'll learn to be a better listener because he has to be.
Whats wrong, if the intentions are pure, with looking to a future that may be better than he can now provide his family? Selfishness does not belong only to men. Get out of your comfort zone and support him.
BTW the reptile business won't be allowed in base housing and most landlords you'd rent from won't allow them either. The smell is horrible.

The smell is horrible? What pet store have you been too? I personally have no bad smells in my reptile room. The cages are cleaned daily. I use to have cats in the house, I ended up putting them out cause the litter box was killing my nose. Compared to cats and dogs, reptiles are odorless.

As for me being selfish. With out knowing my husband's personality its hardly possible for you to determine who is the selfish one here. My family is all very close. His is not. His father was in the air force till he ended up getting a dishonorable discharge. He is a lot like his father. Wants to just play around all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to join simply cause he thinks it would be cool to fly a jet (if they ever let him do that). He's not thinking of the work it requires and of how it would affect his family's life. I have 2 kids. One is in a special privet class cause she has major speech problems. It was very difficult to get her into that class for this year. She is being held back from regular classes till she is able to be understood properly. My other daughter just started 3rd grade and will be beginning band in school. She's been looking forward to it. If he joined he would be determined to get me and the kids on base. He's already made that clear. And if he did that we would have to move along with him where ever he went. That would mean both my kids would have issues continuing what they are doing now in school.

Last edited:
How old is he? because if he's close to or over 30, he's most likely not marketable to recruiters. They prefer younger people (18 to 24), unless, as I've said before, it's someone who already has a skill that they need. They also prefer that those people have higher AFQT scores. (thats one of the averages on the ASVAB). a high school diploma is more marketable to them than a GED. They only take a few each year with GED's and even then, they usually have crazy high scores, and/or have already learned a trade or gotten a degree.

Last edited:
Quote:
My son-in-law who is in the Air Force now has been at the same place, in the same job for over 6 years. Spent 6 months in Iraq 3 years ago. But otherwise has been home for dinner most every night for the past 6 years.
Housing allowances, from what I'm told, are much higher now. It was barely paycheck to paycheck when I was in if you lived off base. Now with variable housing allowances, and cost plus, most young/jr. enlisted don't struggle nearly as much. The struggle builds character too, not fun, but when you finally make rank it gets easier and easier. This is a big motivating factor to advance. More stripes=bigger paycheck.

I would have hubby tested for adult ADD. His impulsiveness and restlessness sound REALLY familiar!
gig.gif

(whistles innocently)

Back
Top Bottom