The hunting/fishing thread!

Youth turkey season was last weekend. Took a young lady and her dad out hunting. She scored her second turkey in as many yrs. This yr she got a slammer.
24LBS, 1.25" spur, and 14" beard.

Attachments

• IMG_20220423_060342032.jpg
    IMG_20220423_060342032.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
Yesterday I heard an interesting observation from a turkey hunt. These two guys I know were posted in different areas in blinds. One was watching a hen turkey in the small field next to his blind when a deer came through fairly close with a coyote after it. The hen just laid down where it was, put its head on the ground and hid until they were gone! The field isn't too thick right now either but the coyote didn't see her so she lives to see another day.

Yesterday I heard an interesting observation from a turkey hunt. These two guys I know were posted in different areas in blinds. One was watching a hen turkey in the small field next to his blind when a deer came through fairly close with a coyote after it. The hen just laid down where it was, put its head on the ground and hid until they were gone! The field isn't too thick right now either but the coyote didn't see her so she lives to see another day.
Must be instinct.
I had one of my turkey hens get out and she was searching for the perfect nesting spot. I kept herding her back and she kept going the wrong way. Eventually I lost sight of her and later found her in a flower bed flattened and head under a wing. When I said ' I see you' she jumped up and off like a shot.

Must be instinct.
I had one of my turkey hens get out and she was searching for the perfect nesting spot. I kept herding her back and she kept going the wrong way. Eventually I lost sight of her and later found her in a flower bed flattened and head under a wing. When I said ' I see you' she jumped up and off like a shot.
That's funny about your bird. I guess if you think about it the turkey didn't have much choice. If it ran or flew the coyote was sure to see it. As I'm sure you know, animals can hide reeeally well too. I once had a big garden that was away from my house a bit. One day in mid-summer I went back and started working on it. After I'd been there at least 25 minutes this tiny baby deer jumped up out of about a foot of grass that I'd walked by many times. 😲 I never saw or heard mama but I know she was close.

Back
Top Bottom