The hunting/fishing thread!

Pics
Seeing someone skin a deer with a decent hide in tact is nice. We pick up throwaway processor hides and sadly most of the time they are totally (literally) butchered and they have giant cut marks in them, or soaked in blood and end up slipping hair, so you end up saving pieces instead of whole hides. Luckily, if someone tells the processor to save the hide for tanning, I've seen them do a great job though. Had one early last year that we tanned for someone that was nearly spot on perfect - little cleaning, only one tiny cut mark. And it was a partial piebald on top of that, so it was beautiful.

Not sure if I have shared any here but if anyone is interested, here's a few tanned hides. If nothing else I hope it motivates some people to get into tanning their harvested animals and putting the hide to good use:

Photos:
  1. Near full piebald tanned for someone 2018
  2. Processor pickup hide 2017
  3. Processor pickup hide 2017
  4. Tanned for someone 2018
  5. Partial piebald tanned for someone 2019
  6. Gifted case skinned hide taken on Christmas 2019 - tanned as was and sold.
  7. Raccoon tanned 2019
831a05fc80a053ac219ea98332b12985.jpg
hide2.jpeg hide3.jpeg HIDES3.jpg
IMG_3436.jpg IMG_3546.jpg tanned.png

Seeing someone skin a deer with a decent hide in tact is nice. We pick up throwaway processor hides and sadly most of the time they are totally (literally) butchered and they have giant cut marks in them, or soaked in blood and end up slipping hair, so you end up saving pieces instead of whole hides. Luckily, if someone tells the processor to save the hide for tanning, I've seen them do a great job though. Had one early last year that we tanned for someone that was nearly spot on perfect - little cleaning, only one tiny cut mark. And it was a partial piebald on top of that, so it was beautiful.

Not sure if I have shared any here but if anyone is interested, here's a few tanned hides. If nothing else I hope it motivates some people to get into tanning their harvested animals and putting the hide to good use:

Photos:
  7. Raccoon tanned 2019
View attachment 2351600
View attachment 2351602View attachment 2351603View attachment 2351604
View attachment 2351605View attachment 2351606View attachment 2351607
Very nice work :love

@Ursuline Chick - It's generally easy to tell in the beginning when I start fleshing so if I am not prepared for a full dehair, I usually trim those off. Otherwise it doesn't much matter and I end throwing in the separate pile for soaking to remove all the hair anyways. Late Fall/early Winter hides seem to also slip more in general here as they put on that other coat. I've still got a pile of tanned leather I keep wanting to make moccasins with - do you have any plans/drawings for making any? I wanted to make tall boot-style ones at some point as I have a bunch of buckskin lace to wrap with.

Photos:
  7. Raccoon tanned 2019
View attachment 2351600
View attachment 2351602View attachment 2351603View attachment 2351604
View attachment 2351605View attachment 2351606View attachment 2351607
I have wanted to try tanning......any chance you have an article on here or would want to do one????? I hear there’s an article contest 😉😉😉

Back
Top Bottom