The hunting/fishing thread!

Great thread, just found it. Bow season comes in Oct 15th here in AL. I've been slacking and just got some cameras out the other day. Hoping to get my first deer with a bow this year. I started doing all my own processing a few years ago and have really enjoyed it. The quality is noticeably better than I was getting from local processors.

Wow! I’m surprised to see this threads still somewhat alive! Anybody else on here do any floundering? It’s my favorite fishing, also tastes the best, it’s hard to beat blackened flounder.

They are great eating. Flounder, tripletail, and triggerfish are probably my top 3 favorites to eat. I've been flounder gigging a bunch recently. This has been my best year so far. The new regulations they put in have really helped the population come back. Plus they have been breeding them in captivity and have released thousands back into our waters. Gigged my personal best last month, an 8lber.

20220823_040711.jpg

Here he is next to a 15"er that got the jump on me and almost got away, lol...

20220823_075858.jpg

Just bought a commercial license last week and got these. The biggest was 4.25lbs with many over 3lbs. Right now is one of my favorite times to gig them. I'm going to try and go Mon if the weather cooperates...

20220920_031040.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread, just found it. Bow season comes in Oct 15th here in AL. I've been slacking and just got some cameras out the other day. Hoping to get my first deer with a bow this year. I started doing all my own processing a few years ago and have really enjoyed it. The quality is noticeably better than I was getting from local processors.

They are great eating. Flounder, tripletail, and triggerfish are probably my top 3 favorites to eat. I've been flounder gigging a bunch recently. This has been my best year so far. The new regulations they put in have really helped the population come back. Plus they have been breeding them in captivity and have released thousands back into our waters. Gigged my personal best last month, an 8lber.

View attachment 3276969

View attachment 3276972

Just got my commercial license last week and got these. The biggest was 4.25lbs with many over 3lbs. Right now is one of my favorite times to gig them. I'm going to try and go Mon if the weather cooperates.

View attachment 3276967
Beautiful catch! :drool

View attachment 3276969

View attachment 3276972

Just bought a commercial license last week and got these. The biggest was 4.25lbs with many over 3lbs. Right now is one of my favorite times to gig them. I'm going to try and go Mon if the weather cooperates...

View attachment 3276967
Wow, that brings back memories from the '60s. My Dad and I would gig flounders in Timbalier Bay, on the Gulf. Sleep out on the boat.

I'd like to give a heads up about fishing in an aluminum boat in saltwater.
I sold my 14' Starcraft semi-V aluminum boat, fully equipped. The boat was used when I bought it and in very good shape.
I bought a new trailer and motor for it as I always fished at the jetties in Fernandina Beach at the Georgia/Florida border.

I kept everything well maintained without any issues, especially after returning home from fishing, including freshwater wash down, flushing the motor, greased bearings as needed etc.
We moved out into the country and a good distance from the ocean and I decided to sell the boat. If I wanted to drive the distance to the beach, I could drive on the beach and surf fish, and I have on a couple of occasions.

To get to the point; a few days after I sold the boat, the guy that I sold the boat to called me and told me that the boat was leaking. He had left it at his covered dock and when he went out the next day, the boat was one quarter full of water and sinking!
Yes, the drain plug was in place.

He managed to get the boat out of the water and took the boat to a local boat shop and the owner told him there were pinholes in the aluminum hull where the bottom of the boat was sitting on the carpeted trailer skids! The shop owner stated that the carpet absorbed the salt water and the salt dried, and over time the salt ate through the aluminum hull creating the pinholes!
I never thought that anything like this was possible with an aluminum boat.
Besides, I always washed the hull with freshwater, but never realized the carpeted skids would retain the salt from saltwater.

The shop owner told my buyer that they normally salvage boats when this situation occurs. To repair it would involve an aluminum sheet epoxied and pop riveted which would cost about $450. Then there were no guarantees it would work.
The shop owner told my buyer that it wouldve been best to have removed the carpet from the skids and just leave the boards exposed when saltwater fishing.

I was totally surprised with this situation and have never had this happen before with an aluminum boat.
The buyer was an honest stand up guy when I met him and I wasnt about to screw him over after the sale....that's not me.
I told him that I'd refund him $700 for the repairs and for the hassle he had to go through and he said that was more than fair enough. He invited me to go freshwater fishing with him on the St John's river south of Palatka if I get the chance.
I havnt done it because I'm not set up for freshwater fishing (poor excuse) but it happened right around the time the Covid outbreak started.

So there you have it regarding carpeted skids on aluminum boats in saltwater...lesson learned.

I'd like to give a heads up about fishing in an aluminum boat in saltwater.
I sold my 14' Starcraft semi-V aluminum boat, fully equipped. The boat was used when I bought it and in very good shape.
I bought a new trailer and motor for it as I always fished at the jetties in Fernandina Beach at the Georgia/Florida border.

I kept everything well maintained without any issues, especially after returning home from fishing, including freshwater wash down, flushing the motor, greased bearings as needed etc.
We moved out into the country and a good distance from the ocean and I decided to sell the boat. If I wanted to drive the distance to the beach, I could drive on the beach and surf fish, and I have on a couple of occasions.

To get to the point; a few days after I sold the boat, the guy that I sold the boat to called me and told me that the boat was leaking. He had left it at his covered dock and when he went out the next day, the boat was one quarter full of water and sinking!
Yes, the drain plug was in place.

He managed to get the boat out of the water and took the boat to a local boat shop and the owner told him there were pinholes in the aluminum hull where the bottom of the boat was sitting on the carpeted trailer skids! The shop owner stated that the carpet absorbed the salt water and the salt dried, and over time the salt ate through the aluminum hull creating the pinholes!
I never thought that anything like this was possible with an aluminum boat.
Besides, I always washed the hull with freshwater, but never realized the carpeted skids would retain the salt from saltwater.

The shop owner told my buyer that they normally salvage boats when this situation occurs. To repair it would involve an aluminum sheet epoxied and pop riveted which would cost about $450. Then there were no guarantees it would work.
The shop owner told my buyer that it wouldve been best to have removed the carpet from the skids and just leave the boards exposed when saltwater fishing.

I was totally surprised with this situation and have never had this happen before with an aluminum boat.
The buyer was an honest stand up guy when I met him and I wasnt about to screw him over after the sale....that's not me.
I told him that I'd refund him $700 for the repairs and for the hassle he had to go through and he said that was more than fair enough. He invited me to go freshwater fishing with him on the St John's river south of Palatka if I get the chance.
I havnt done it because I'm not set up for freshwater fishing (poor excuse) but it happened right around the time the Covid outbreak started.

So there you have it regarding carpeted skids on aluminum boats in saltwater...lesson learned.
I'm willing to bet it was the treated wood, not the saltwater in the carpet that caused the issue. It's been known to cause that exact pinhole issue in aluminum boats, i think it's the copper in it that reacts with aluminum. Goes for anything, not just boats. Pressure treated wood and aluminum is a no-no. G3 transoms used to be made out of treated plywood and there's plenty you can read about pinholes in their transom causing small leaks. I've always used cypress for bunks. Google "pressure treated wood on aluminum boat".... there should be plenty to read about it....

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet it was the chemicals in the treated wood, not the saltwater in the carpet that caused the issue. It's been known to cause that exact pinhole issue in aluminum boats, i think its the copper that reacts. G3 transoms used to be made out of treated plywood and there's plenty you can read about pinholes in their transom causing small leaks. I've always used cypress for bunks. Google "pressure treated wood on aluminum boat".... there should be plenty to read about it.
Thanks for the info. I'm no expert on this kind of stuff. I'm not buying a boat anytime in the future anyway.
I do know zincs are placed on U.S. Navy ship hulls. I've seen them on drydocked ships.

Back
Top Bottom