The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
All I can say is ....WOW! So beautiful! Way Prettier then mine....
1f60d.png

hello i have a jubilee rooster and blackstar hen does anyone know what kid of chicks i will have

hello i have a jubilee rooster and blackstar hen does anyone know what kid of chicks i will have
Blackstars are sexlinked so it would be very difficult to predict what you would get. You would almost have to know what color(s) the cock was that was over the barred hen... if I know my blackstars crosses. I'm not 100% sure on this though. The color calculator may tell you.

jumpy.gif
Congrats Miss Molly.

I hatched some that might be mixes (they don't look like there's any Marans in those four in the brooder though) that I gotta figure out what to do with - just had to hatch some eggs.
wink.png
Next batch goes into lockdown today - only 1 though and a second Ameraucana x Jubilee but these should be pure and then next week and the week after and the week after and the week after....aaahh...

I have some Chocolate Bantam Orpingtons x Cream Legbar mixes that someone's picking up this weekend that i stuck in the bator for the NYD hatchalong. I'm gonna hold on to 1 just to see how they turn out.

I have a question for those of you in colder climates- do the jubilees tend to lay well still in the winter?

Mom has speckled sussex and they are a decent layer during the warm months and almost nothing in the winter. Her buff orphs are great layers in the warm months, and still pretty decent through the winter.

We are considering bringing in jubilees and phasing out the sussex.

I have a question for those of you in colder climates- do the jubilees tend to lay well still in the winter?

Mom has speckled sussex and they are a decent layer during the warm months and almost nothing in the winter. Her buff orphs are great layers in the warm months, and still pretty decent through the winter.

We are considering bringing in jubilees and phasing out the sussex.

I'm not sure i would consider buying them for egg production- too expensive and I am fairly certain that they were not bred with production in mind. Mine started laying in January however... And it is reported that Orpingtons in general are good winter layers.

I don't know that I could make a Jubilee egg omelet, when the chicks are so expensive- ha ha.

I'm not sure i would consider buying them for egg production- too expensive and I am fairly certain that they were not bred with production in mind. Mine started laying in January however... And it is reported that Orpingtons in general are good winter layers.

I don't know that I could make a Jubilee egg omelet, when the chicks are so expensive- ha ha.

I understand!! But we don't have issues with eatting tolbunt polish omlettes during the winter either ;) The first year you cringe at the thought of eatting expensive eggs- after that, unless you want chicks in the house all winter or have local buyer (too cold to ship), the eggs taste the same :) personally I have yet to offer eggs, chicks, or hens from the Tolbunts- just a few roos. That may change this year- would help with feed bills to part with some eggs or chicks. I've been working on improving the ones I started with and keep adding in better lines each year to keep the blood from being too limited. I'm excited about the ones that I have coming this year, and will likely just work off them, who I hatch, and who I have currently the next few years.

is there anyone on here that is breeding for improving verses breeding for profit- and that sells eggs? Are they allowed to show at all? The tolbunt polish can show- but they can't go farther than variety. St

Maybe I'll get used to eating them one day. These are my first expensive breed and they have only been laying for a month. I wish I could make a profit off of chickens- they are just a money pit for me. I am still suplying my family with free jubilee orp chicks. i dont think i have the right set up or amount of time to run any sort of business. Fancy chicks is always improving her breeding stock, she just imported a new line. That is where I like to get my birds. I think she is on here under rockinpaints. From what I gather, they are not an accepted color variety for orpingtons. I plan on showing mine anyway though. If enough people do, they can be accepted I think.

Back
Top Bottom