The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
Thanks! It's great to know we'll get more than one a day soon!

@EastNashChick
 They could start any time now.  Mine started laying at 7 months (also about October) and continued to lay through the winter.  After that first year, they will need artificial light to lay during the darker months.  However, I have read that a lot of people who had birds old enough to lay by October either didn't start, or started then abruptly quit.  Maybe it was the severe cold (again).  In any case, by the end of February, most pullets and hens should resume laying from the longer days.

I will be getting 10 Jubilee Orpington chicks in a couple weeks. I've very excited to have something less common. My hubby shakes his head at me because I always want something different. My breed of dogs, mule instead of a horse, Piedmontese rather than Black Angus. They all bring me joy so he just says OK Mama.

Hen or Roo? (On the left)

Hey Guys, I just hatched out some eggs that I bought as Greenfire line Jubilee Orpingtons and the very first chick that hatched was solid black. The lady said that the only other breed that she has are Lavender Orpingtons and it certainly wasn't one of those. I had marked the eggs with a wax pencil so I know that the first chick hatched out of an egg that was supposed to be a Jubilee, but in the mix I also had some Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, and Black-Copper Marans so as the hatch progressed I had no way of keeping track through those misty windows on the hatcher. The chicks haven't fully fluffed out yet so I haven't gone through them to sort out any that are solid black (the Marans will have feathers on their feet and both they and the Australorps should have some yellow). Hopefully I have just that one. So my question is this: Do the Jubilee ever have throwbacks to some of the breeds that were used to develop the Jubilee Orpingtons? Could a Jubilee crossed with a Jubilee ever hatch out a solid black chick? I just want to know if this lady is being truthful with me. Thanks!

Hey Guys, I just hatched out some eggs that I bought as Greenfire line Jubilee Orpingtons and the very first chick that hatched was solid black. The lady said that the only other breed that she has are Lavender Orpingtons and it certainly wasn't one of those. I had marked the eggs with a wax pencil so I know that the first chick hatched out of an egg that was supposed to be a Jubilee, but in the mix I also had some Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, and Black-Copper Marans so as the hatch progressed I had no way of keeping track through those misty windows on the hatcher. The chicks haven't fully fluffed out yet so I haven't gone through them to sort out any that are solid black (the Marans will have feathers on their feet and both they and the Australorps should have some yellow). Hopefully I have just that one. So my question is this: Do the Jubilee ever have throwbacks to some of the breeds that were used to develop the Jubilee Orpingtons? Could a Jubilee crossed with a Jubilee ever hatch out a solid black chick? I just want to know if this lady is being truthful with me. Thanks!

Just FYI, Lav x Jubilee gives a solid black offspring. She might have had a whoops breeding if somebody hopped over a fence or escaped from a breeding pen otherwise. In fact, Lavender x almost any color gives black offspring since it's a recessive gene and you have to have two copies to get lavender chicks (we played with the chicken color calculator that is online--very useful). I have both of these colors, too (but I don't sell hatching eggs). Jubilee x Jubilee will not produce a black chick. For people who use Mottled periodically to broaden the genetic variation, you can and will get some Mottled Orps, but that's the only remotely permissible cross.

Assuming you marked the eggs right, you should have gotten a solid yellow chick if it was a Jubilee. After a few days, they start getting some color on their wings as the first feathers come in.

The lady may or may not have been truthful. It could have been an accident. But I think she should refund you your money for that egg if you are positive which one was the Jubilee egg. Just my two cents' worth!

Last edited:
Hello . I'm new to Orpingtons. Can someone tell me what age you can tell gender ? My friend has some jubilee around 8 weeks & we are trying determine gender .

Back
Top Bottom