The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Red leakage is not acceptable in any chicken breeding program. Once red leakage comes to our vision it is nearly impossible to breed out.It saddens to see so many of our beautiful colors either fading or changing into red leakage, what is worst? It all comes down to select only the best for our breeding programs. The red leakage is not going away. It all comes down to how we manage this, now and in the future!

Yes. It was sad to rehome "Dinner" but I didn't have the space to keep an extra roo. DD got pretty upset at the thought of eating him, so I found someone who wanted him. I'm still not exactly sure what his genetics were or where the leakage came from.

I was thinking perhaps my big blue orp is his mom. (She came from a mauve x lav mating - looks blue..... but carries the lav gene) I tried to set only the lav orp eggs, but perhaps one of my Blue's eggs was accidentally set.

Dinner's eye's are a darker brown than any of my lav orps, and that could be explained by the blue orp being his mom.
good bye 3.jpg
good bye 1.jpg

Good Point. LOL

There are such designer colors out there that people spend years of selective breeding to achieve. They're considered "project colors" at this time. I guess technically lavender is also considered a project color but lavs have been around a while and there's a decent demand for them in my area.

I did not try to get this outcome. It really surprises me that this gold showed up. I agree that it looks pretty and for that reason I want to see how he looks when he matures. It's a really neat gold lacing effect. However, it's not a breeding project that I want to get into.
View attachment 1226994
One shouldn't be so alarmed when seeing yellow feathers, especially on the Lavenders... this is very common as the chicken ages, sun, diet all play apart of these aged feathers. After visiting many top breeders in Europe, some of there best chickens show the yellow feathers...this was so commo
Can anyone tell me if this is typical red leakage on this blue roo? It kind of has a pattern to it in his lower breast area. How might this effect breeding....especially for splash. Just breeding for myself mind you....but curious how it may carry through.
Sorry for the horrid pictures. It is below freezing and very windy here, and some didn't want to brave it outside.

View attachment 1225936
Yes, Red leakage is a problem...sorry to see all of this red leakage in this beautiful chicken, unfortunately red leakage seems to surface. Over all this appears to be a very nice chicken but the red leakage takes away from his beauty.

Can anyone tell me if this is typical red leakage on this blue roo? It kind of has a pattern to it in his lower breast area. How might this effect breeding....especially for splash. Just breeding for myself mind you....but curious how it may carry through.
Sorry for the horrid pictures. It is below freezing and very windy here, and some didn't want to brave it outside.

Kidcody (Autumn Farm English Orpingtons) is answering this question............

To answer this question from my years of experience with breeding the English Orpington here in the USA and Europe...............from Kidcody........

I see this is still a old conversation .....but...some one asked about having (seeing) red feathers on a Blue English Orpington...first of all this does and can appear in young growing stock...the red feathers is actually considered a major fault in breeding for the standard colors. unfortunately this can and does appear as juveniles as they mature. It is very important not to use any of these offspring's that carry any red feathering for your breeding program, as in doing so this will pass down red feathers for many, many generations . These should never be used for further breeding but used as pets. Or to simply give away so they do not have to be put down. (I'm a believer that all living creatures deserve a loving life.) It is also very common to see the English Lavender Orpington over time develop yellowing feathers, more so as they mature. This is normal and is not considered a breeding fault. Sun light, ageing feathers and diet can progress the yellowing of these feathers. This is why when showing a English Lavender Orpington they are shown before the age of one, as the feathers are at the best at being there beautiful natural coloring.

Where are you showing lavender orpingtons?
As for red leakage on a blue orpington I would say it isn't typical at all.
I raised blues for 4 or so years and never had one with red leakage at any age.

A very sad morning : Our dear, old Mr Dummy-Pants died last night. it was also a blessing. He was failing and not walking much. He didn't eat/drink yesterday, so I knew I'd have to put him down today. He died and spared me the additional pain of killing my beloved pet. He was our all-time favorite rooster and became a pet after he could no longer breed. He was amazing! He was very patient with kids, a gentleman with the hens, a great flock leader & guardian, the peace-maker, big, & stunningly beautiful. He is the rooster that all of our future roosters will be compared to. I can't find words to describe my feelings. He will forever be missed.

RIP my friend.
img_7186-jpg.1400966
img_3064-jpg.1400967
img_4371-copy-jpg.1400968
img_7185-copy-jpg.1400965

DD is taking it very hard. Although we all loved him, he was technically HER rooster. Yesterday she gently carried her big smelly buddy inside to watch TV together. She hugged him as she cried. Then she placed him on the floor next to her. That old rooster used what little strength he had to stand up and walk over to her for hugs when he saw her crying. He was trying to get back into her lap. That basically sums up why we loved him. He always acted more like a dog than a rooster.

I'm so, so sorry...I can't imagine when you lose such a wonderful pet and friend. It showed how special DP was to you and your family. If only they could live on forever, my heart aches for you and your family, he was such a special part of your life....just remember the joy that he has given everyone around him... I know words don't bring him back, but remember we are all with you at this difficult time.....:( RIP....a truly special friend.

Been busy with many chicks this summer. Our backyard has been taken over by broody hens! Mostly bantam hens, so we give them orp eggs.

Here's Trouble's (our sebright) last 2 chicks, silver laced orpingtons. They are 4 weeks old. No names yet but I'm leaning toward 2 females due to feather growth & lack of wattles. Last year's males had zero tails & tiny pink wattles at 4 week. (I may end up keeping one.)
4-weeks-a-jpg.1448247

4-weeks-b-jpg.1448248

Here are some more random shots. Does anyone agree with me on the female gender predictions?
img_0051-copy-jpg.1448258
img_0052-copy-jpg.1448259
img_0053-copy-jpg.1448260
img_0054-copy-jpg.1448261

I'm learning how difficult it is to predict lacing quality on young chicks.
Last year I hatched 2 males:

I thought this one looked better & kept him. He's called "Mr Wonderful."

4 weeks
Sil Laced 1.jpg

10-11 weeks
IMG_4263.JPG

Mr Wonderful today. He lives up to his name daily and I can't imagine my flock without him.
IMG_0136.JPG

The other male didn't even look laced at 4 weeks. He was sold to a friend and I'm grateful to see how he turned out.
4 wks.
blue laced 1.jpg

10-11 wks:
IMG_4020.JPG

Other than some frostbite on the comb this winter, I think he turned out to look amazing. He's bigger & more muscular than my Mr Wonderful. (Also a gentleman like all of the orp roos I've known.)
IMG_8860.JPG

So which type of lacing is preferable? (The kind that looks drawn with a felt tip pen or a wide marker. LOL) Mr Wonderful looked laced right away & stayed that way. The other looked a mess when younger but has such a dark contrast now.

I'm learning how difficult it is to predict lacing quality on young chicks.
Last year I hatched 2 males:

I thought this one looked better & kept him. He's called "Mr Wonderful."

4 weeks
View attachment 1449952

10-11 weeks
View attachment 1449962
Mr Wonderful today. He lives up to his name daily and I can't imagine my flock without him.
View attachment 1449945

The other male didn't even look laced at 4 weeks. He was sold to a friend and I'm grateful to see how he turned out.
4 wks.
View attachment 1449951
10-11 wks:
View attachment 1449964

Other than some frostbite on the comb this winter, I think he turned out to look amazing. He's bigger & more muscular than my Mr Wonderful. (Also a gentleman like all of the orp roos I've known.)
View attachment 1449943

So which type of lacing is preferable? (The kind that looks drawn with a felt tip pen or a wide marker. LOL) Mr Wonderful looked laced right away & stayed that way. The other looked a mess when younger but has such a dark contrast now.
Gorgeous, both!:love:love

Back
Top Bottom