The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Hey Joy! I put my 3 into the bator yesterday. But I was looking at my Orps yesterday, and wondered how the heck I'm gonna get fertile eggs outta those guys with all that fluff. I may be trimming butts too. I do it by myself with my bantam Cochins, but I think I'll have to enlist a little help with these big monsters!
ep.gif

Quote:
Joy, it shouldn't be too long for Winston. He is a cock now and maybe just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. Your weather is usually cold. I did put an egg in the Bator from my number one pen or Feran's pen, which is most likely from one of the three Bamma hens, yes as of Feb 4th their hens, and it is developing nicely. Feran went thru last year here when we dropped down to minus -5. Last nite we were close to that. But Feran is a good horny boy and must realize no time to waste. I do not pull out vent feathers, so he had to fight thru the Bamma girls fluff to get the job done. Just a matter of time. I have 8 girls in with Feran. I may have to divide them up and make two number one pens.
Good luck everyone with all your eggs.

Last edited:
Hey Paula - good to see you !!! Well, tell Zoe she can hold them while you trim
lau.gif
lau.gif

Bill - Winston is "doing his thing," but no eggs are fertile, as I didn't trim him after his molt because of the cold weather on the way. From past experience, I won't get any fertile eggs unless I trim him. I know some people pluck feathers, but I just trim them a bit and it has done the trick.

It has been unusually cold here this winter and I am sooooooooooo ready for Spring. Of course when Summer arrives, I'll be wishing for this cold again.

Quote:
For those of you who do like to remove vent feathers, Doug says you want to pull out one at a time, and he doesn't trim. He thinks the shafts could discourage the cock from mounting. It would be like making love to a Porcupine. You want about a size of a baseball of feathers removed

Last edited:
Quote:
For those of you who do like to remove vent feathers, Doug says you want to pull out one at a time, and he doesn't trim. He thinks the shafts could discourage the cock from mounting. It would be like making love to a Porcupine. You want about a size of a baseball of feathers removed

I was just reading somewhere about this, too. Can't remember where .... that you pluck below the vent on the cock, and above the vent on the hens. I read that the porcupine type trim also discourages mating, though I have no experience with this..... just what I read.

Yeah, Joy, not her favorite thing to do. Not mine either, but has to be done sometimes. She does help me with it, though, believe it or not.
gig.gif
It's either that, or AI-and I definitely don't have the hang of that. I've tried with my cochins, but so far, not working. I can't even imagine with these HUGE Orps! That would be a sight!
ep.gif

Bill, I've never plucked, only trimmed. And I know what you mean. I'm sure it's prickly when they start to grow out. I sometimes wonder if plucking would be better or worse. I'm sure that's pretty painful as well. It just seems so cruel to pluck feathers one by one. But I know it has to be uncomfortable for them when the feathers start to grow after trimming. What to do?

I've never plucked because I figured it was painful. I never thought about it being painful being trimmed. Hmmmmmm. I hate the thought of doing anything to cause them pain or a lot of discomfort just so I can get a few chicks. I'll have to do some research on this and think on it. AI might be what I'll have to try, though I am NOT looking forward to that.

I trim some of my Cochins-the ones that need a little help. I always have good results after trimming, so it must not bother them enough to "not do the deed". I would prefer plucking, because I would think I wouldn't have to do it as often. I just think it would be more painful for the bird having feathers plucked one by one. Don't know, just my thought. I guess the only way we'd truly know is if our birds could talk to us-so I guess we'll never know.
hu.gif

And Kathy, you're right. You trim more on top of the vent for hens, and below for roos. I trim about the size of a fifty cent piece all around, but a little more above for hens, and below for roos.

Well, with trimming, I've never had any problems with mine not wanting to "do the deed" either, so I honestly don't think it bothers them...at least the rooster - it might not be as comfortable for the hen during the act itself, though. I also never noticed the feathers growing back until molting. I'll have to pay more attention this year. I trim a little bigger than a 50 cent piece, but not a lot bigger, and I have had really great fertility.

It is no more pain then plucking an unwanted hair. You know, like no one wants the unibrow look. My wife helps keeping me from reverting to a caveman look. The more painful hairs are my beard. With a chicken I have pulled a feather that looks like it is ready to fall off. I had one feather on a young cockerel in his wing that looked funky. I just yanked it out and he did not make a peep. I too have LF Buff Cochins, and their having no problems breeding. My younger Black Orp cockerels are now getting the job done. I did some candling last nite, and about a 1/3 or more of the eggs I set are fertile. You guys will be seeing the same. It may take some longer before they feel like getting the job done.

(non-family-friendly remark removed by staff--we have young members, people!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom