The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Quote:
klf73 may I ask who you got yours from ?

Well, since I haven't told the breeder yet I don't feel comfortable mentioning it..... I just wanted to know how common it was?

Hi Mad Scientist,

Once and awhile this will pop up. I guess it comes from the Cochin that was bred into the Orps a long time ago.
I have the same here with a young black rooster. I have several of them and there's only one who has it. Genes....
Someone on this tread also mentioned that it was common in the chocolate bantam orpingtons. Well I can tell that I NEVER saw one chick having this "problem" out of the dozens that I hatched this year.
Have a nice weekend,

Marc

Marc, how are your young birds doing? Any new pictures of the Diamond Jubilees?
smile.png

Quote:
Well, since I haven't told the breeder yet I don't feel comfortable mentioning it..... I just wanted to know how common it was?

Hi Mad Scientist,

Once and awhile this will pop up. I guess it comes from the Cochin that was bred into the Orps a long time ago.
I have the same here with a young black rooster. I have several of them and there's only one who has it. Genes....
Someone on this tread also mentioned that it was common in the chocolate bantam orpingtons. Well I can tell that I NEVER saw one chick having this "problem" out of the dozens that I hatched this year.
Have a nice weekend,

Marc

Well it sounds like your line doesn't have that issue..I don't think that a chick every now and then having stubbs or some fuzz on their shanks would really be that big of a problem, I had noticed a choc orp chick for sale on a online auction site last week that had a lot of fuzz on its shanks.

It pretty common in the Wyandottes..we just accept that it happens sometimes..after all its part of their genetic background. If a line of birds have cochin in their background, you are going to get a throwback now and then. There is a saying at the poultry shows..every line throws some junk..its inevitable..you cull for it and move on.

So, what is up with this girl? She is almost 5 months old and I noticed this a few days ago..
One red feather... is it common?
11313_imag0589.jpg

My first thought was uh-oh, she is a he...but the comb is so tiny and I couldn't find any sickle feathers...

Last edited:
Are you sure she wasn't rolling around with a RIR? jk
gig.gif

On a more serious note, I once had a gorgeous black pullet have two white feathers on the butt and she shed them out before she was 6 months old? Don't know how that happened but, it did.
Quote:

FYI - I am donating a couple of chocolate orpington chicks to the Ameraucana Breeders Club at the Indy show. There will either be a silent auction or a raffle, specifics are still to be determined.

There will also be a couple of these chicks donated to the United Orpington Club by a friend of mine and she will also be donating a started pair of black orpingtons. These are well known West Coast lines.

Come by the ABC and the UOC tables and check them out.

Back
Top Bottom