The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Jeremy, these are pictures of mine, the wheatens came out of reds and the ones pictured are bantam not large fowl although i did have large fowl in this colour, these are pictures i posted to Minh a good while ago, i don't know where they have shown up from
Bob

A few more pictures... again, not my birds, they're all somewhere in the UK.

The two hens in the front here are Wheaten and so is the large male on right. He shouldn't have any red in his breast, it should be solid black. The Wheatens are still very much a project color in the UK.

Here's another picture of a rooster, this guy is more correctly colored.

Bob, I like them A LOT! I had considered trying to create a Wheaten Orpington here using clean shanked Wheaten Marans X Black and Blue Orps. I just don't have the space though for the project.

I wanted to say thanks for all the input on our 'crele projects'. The project birds are fun (because they are projects) and there are so many twists and surprises along the way.

Crele has always been one of my favorite colors (and a difficult one) but we will continue 'plucking away'
big_smile.png
at it. Good luck in all your projects!! If anyone else is working on this one I would love to see pics (if you don't want to post them PM/email is OK
smile.png
).

I am just getting going on my Crele project. I made my Silver Duckwing pullets last year. And while I am an Orp man my project is really geared well for Marans. Seeing my Silver Duckwing pullet lays the prettiest nice dark brown egg. So eventually she will be in the pen with a Dick Dickerson Marans Cuckoo I was given for free at Crossroads last fall. But as always I take my sweet ole time getting the pens set up and she is in with my best Orp type Cuckoo boys. I have to thank Harry for the genetics to make these Cuckoo Orp boys. Even though their not UK Orp type. I really like their looks. And this pullet is laying fertile eggs. So I guess my Silver Crele Orps are on their way to becoming reality. First eggs from her due to hatch will be this weekend. And there will be more to come.
Hope you enjoy your projects.

Here is the parent flock for this project.
have a great day and season to all!

I am just getting going on my Crele project.  I made my Silver Duckwing pullets last year.  And while I am an Orp man my project is really geared well for Marans.  Seeing my Silver Duckwing pullet lays the prettiest nice dark brown egg.  So eventually she will be in the pen with a Dick Dickerson Marans Cuckoo I was given for free at Crossroads last fall.  But as always I take my sweet ole time getting the pens set up and she is in with my best Orp type Cuckoo boys.  I have to thank Harry for the genetics to make these Cuckoo Orp boys.  Even though their not UK Orp type.  I really like their looks.  And this pullet is laying fertile eggs.  So I guess my Silver Crele Orps are on their way to becoming reality.  First eggs from her due to hatch will be this weekend.  And there will be more to come.
Hope you enjoy your projects.

Here is the parent flock for this project.
have a great day and season to all!

I always see a garbage can in your photos. is that the shelter for the birds in the pen ? they all sleep in the garbage can?

I always see a garbage can in your photos. is that the shelter for the birds in the pen ? they all sleep in the garbage can?

Yes they lay and sleep in these cans. Indianapolis is making us use these automated 90 gallon garbage cans. So what do you do with 12 garbage cans (that use to be the limit one could put out to be collected)? You put them in the pens. Their easy to clean out. Nice place to get out of the full sun during the hotter days. Works out great for a place for a hen/pullet to get away from an over eager breeding males to hide out.

My buddy sent me this link with a warning to not post photos cause the guy who owns the copyright is known to make a big stink of people posting his pics online. Which is sad. But there is no issue to post the link. The link shows nice old pics of Orps near 80 years ago. Check em out and enjoy your birds

http://www.poultryphotos.co.uk/orpingtons_montage.htm

Last edited:

Yes they lay and sleep in these cans.  Indianapolis is making us use these automated 90 gallon garbage cans.  So what do you do with 12 garbage cans (that use to be the limit one could put out to be collected)?  You put them in the pens.  Their easy to clean out.  Nice place to get out of the full sun during the hotter days.  Works out great for a place for a hen/pullet to get away from an over eager breeding males to hide out.

My buddy sent me this link with a warning to not post photos cause the guy who owns the copyright is known to make a big stink of people posting his pics online.  Which is sad.  But there is no issue to post the link.  The link shows nice old pics of Orps near 80 years ago.  Check em out and enjoy your birds

[COLOR=0066CC]http://www.poultryphotos.co.uk/orpingtons_montage.htm[/COLOR]

did you put a 2x4 thru the can or something for them to roost on? or is it just the can they sit on/in? how do you keep the rain out? if they sit in the bottom of the can do you find their butts get a lot of poop stuck to them?

Back
Top Bottom