The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

He is, Julie. That's my old Fat Albert from you.

Kathy you will know what I'm talking about because you have them (jwhip BR's) My pair of English Orp's that I got from Jeremy are both (Cockerel and Pullet) as big as my BR roo. They are not quite as tall yet but larger in body. I've gotten 13 eggs from her in 14 days. I have 3 of her eggs in bator right now and 3 saved that I'm going to put in one day next week along with any others I get to test for fertility.
I'm not going to go into this to deep but I can honestly say that I also have lost well over a thousand dollars in the past year with hatching eggs. My NH eggs from 2 different places were like 80% or higher. I paid a bit more then I like to for my ORP pair but if her eggs are fertile, I've already gotten back more then I've paid. Now that's not bad. It is when we get 18 eggs in and hatch 2 or 3 that just makes me sick.
Oh well, as long as we get a pair that are worth breeding I guess we can count ourselves pretty lucky. lol Even with chicks sometimes don't work out. I had 28 of a certain breed and ended 4 pullets live and 5 cockerels. Lost around $600. on that deal. Sure is costing some of us an awful lot to get some of these older breeds back up to where they once were. And to get some new ones in the US.
Jim

Today was gorgeous day here in South Alabama. Everything is so green. I couldn't resist making a few photos late this afternoon.
009-2.jpg
This is a fresh plowed feild in our front yard
013-1.jpg
This boy will be a year old next month
032.jpg

011.jpg
These pullets look terrible with no feathers on their backs. They need a break and I am going to give them one.
027-2.jpg
Pool up a;nd running for the grands who were here last week swimming

033.jpg
Flowers everywhere'
031-1.jpg
That pullet used to be beautiful

024-1.jpg
Waddling off in the sunset to roost

Absolutely gorgeous pictures Julie and that 4th picture sure brings back memories to me. Looks like the yard at one of the old farms we used to live on about 50 years ago. Even looks like the old Rose of Sharon bush/tree there in the yard. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you both.
Jim it is a Rose of Sharon in White. I have a double pink one planted and growing on the front side. We only own two small acres but are surrounded by these feilds. We never know each year what is going to be planted. The rye is so pretty this year in the back. I think we had peanuts last year and they may be able to get a second crop in on this feild. Last year we had cotton in the front feild. I think someone new has rented that field because I never saw the other one ever plow and plow and get it ready for planting like it has been for the past month. My roses are blooming and i have a great big knockout rose with pink and red blooms that I planted about six years ago. It has to be my favorite.

I have the rose of sharon as a hedge across the front of my yard right next to the road for privacy. I cut them all way down last year because they were as tall as the one in your yard. I have pink, purple and white. They look really nice in the late summer/fall. We don't have anything but easter lily's so far that bloomed. Our trees have just begun to bloom this past week. I loved the farm life. Those birds look absolutely gorgeous taking their evening stroll. lol Enjoy every day like it is your last.
Jim

Are blue feathers more fragile than black, Julie? I was looking at my girls tonight and I've had to put saddles on all my blues. The blacks are still perfect. I didn't know if it was a color-thing or the fact that my boy prefers the blue girls.

Back
Top Bottom