The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

@Jhorn91180 I just got the email from Deborah (Berrytanglefarm) today. I thought they had an unrelated line. Turns out they have Julies lines. Im still searching....

Breeding a quality flock is an art and yes luck plays a part in it too... Not every bird you breed is going to be a world banger.... Do take in consideration too.... it only takes one generation to change the direction of a flock. So just cuz you bought your start from good lines... it is up to you... to carry the touch.

Breeding a quality flock is an art and yes luck plays a part in it too... Not every bird you breed is going to be a world banger.... Do take in consideration too.... it only takes one generation to change the direction of a flock. So just cuz you bought your start from good lines... it is up to you... to carry the touch.
AMEN Renie ! You can ruin good birds in a hurry by bad feeding, or conditioning.

Last edited:
@Jhorn91180 I just got the email from Deborah (Berrytanglefarm) today. I thought they had an unrelated line. Turns out they have Julies lines. Im still searching....

I sure do get a lot of Credit for birds I don't know anything about. I had someone else on here show a very junky Orp and said it was from Julie Keener and when questioned them they said they got eggs from someone in Oregon. I never sold Orps to anyone in OR. Like I told them those birds might have come down the piked from someone who had some at some time. I can't control what people breed together or keep to breed. Not all birds are perfect from any hatch and that is why you hatch a lot and cull heavy to improve your flock. Look at the birds . I don't keep birds that look like something I don't want . That is why I don't pay attention to who's so called lines they are. People used to do that all the time with Silkies saying this is a well known breeders line so they could sell eggs or chicks. Ask me how I know.
I didnt sell eggs to but one person last year in the Spring and no chicks. I sold a few Cockerels at a show in Jan 2012. If your breeding and hatching them then I consider them your line for whatever that definition in the chicken world is worth. . If you don't know how to cull or what to breed together I have no control over that. Just my Opinion. I have never put a pic on of a bird from another breeder that I felt was inferior. I have got Orps from other breeders of English and if they didnt suit what I wanted which was most of them except one or two I sold them off to a auction.

I sure do get a lot of Credit for birds I don't know anything about. I had someone else on here show a very junky Orp and said it was from Julie Keener and when questioned them they said they got eggs from someone in Oregon. I never sold Orps to anyone in OR. Like I told them those birds might have come down the piked from someone who had some at some time. I can't control what people breed together or keep to breed. Not all birds are perfect from any hatch and that is why you hatch a lot and cull heavy to improve your flock. Look at the birds . I don't keep birds that look like something I don't want . That is why I don't pay attention to who's so called lines they are. People used to do that all the time with Silkies saying this is a well known breeders line so they could sell eggs or chicks. Ask me how I know.
I didnt sell eggs to but one person last year in the Spring and no chicks. I sold a few Cockerels at a show in Jan 2012. If your breeding and hatching them then I consider them your line for whatever that definition in the chicken world is worth. . If you don't know how to cull or what to breed together I have no control over that. Just my Opinion. I have never put a pic on of a bird from another breeder that I felt was inferior. I have got Orps from other breeders of English and if they didnt suit what I wanted which was most of them except one or two I sold them off to a auction.

And folks.. that is how it is done :)

Julie I don't think the birds on that site look anything like yours at all. I love yours and still think u r the Orpington queen LOL. My birds r supposedly a combination of yours and Joys bred together but who knows as that's just what the person I bought the eggs off of told me last year. I love them but am just looking to add in some new blood.

Roger, Even tho u don't have any blacks I gotta say u r doing an excellent job on the blues and your birds r awesome too. Just maybe u will hatch some blacks this year and I bet they will be just as gorgeous
fl.gif

Also I do agree u can ruin your birds type in one generation. Hopefully I make the right decisions in my culls tho and build a flock of really nice birds from what I can get from the other breeder and hatch myself from my own birds. So far tho I have hatched some nice chicks but did hatch that oddball white one outta my birds that I still cant figure out how happened. Its still feathering solid white and legs and beak have become lighter instead of darker so that one makes no sense at all.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/Orpington_chicken_2.jpg

NO THIS IS NOT MY BIRD. This is a pic of the goal(type) Im working towards with all my Orp colors and I know this wont be easy and will prob take years of work but this is what I like and if its incorrect that's fine too as again I don't plan to show but a yard full of these would b gorgeous and I would b very happy with my birds.

NO THIS IS NOT MY BIRD. This is a pic of the goal(type) Im working towards with all my Orp colors and I know this wont be easy and will prob take years of work but this is what I like and if its incorrect that's fine too as again I don't plan to show but a yard full of these would b gorgeous and I would b very happy with my birds.
Yep that is yard candy. Hoping all mine turn out that good this year.
I need blacks myself this year cause I didn't hatch any last year and only have the pair that was hen hatched in late May.

That is my goal Orp too!!! I would love to know who this bird belongs to ...she is looks amazing!!!
droolin.gif

Well scence we are getting into all this, I just want everyone to know I know where my birds came from, Direct from Joy !!!!!
I have not bread anything else into them at all & still producing what I think are SQ. birds, Last year I brought home reserve class champ. with JR. a blue rooster I bread myself out of my birds that came direct to me from Joy & they are getting better & better every year, Yes I have a different line of birds but haven't got a chance to see how they will come around yet as they are only about 3-4 weeks old, still a long time off, for those of you that have bought eggs from me these are not crossed with anything & I only breed my best to my best, I have 7 hens & 2 roosters & would not sale anything I would not keep for myself, I still think Julie & Joy have done a great job getting these birds in here & sharing them as they have, Thanks gals !!!! Oh & one more thing, I will not be selling any more eggs after this year from my small flock, It is to hard to please folks when I cant control how & when a bird lays, there is no way every bird is SQ. that hatches, I have raised several out of my flock & have produced a few that are of that caliber, so cull hard !!!

Well scence we are getting into all this, I just want everyone to know I know where my birds came from, Direct from Joy !!!!!
I have not bread anything else into them at all & still producing what I think are SQ. birds, Last year I brought home reserve class champ. with JR. a blue rooster I bread myself out of my birds that came direct to me from Joy & they are getting better & better every year, Yes I have a different line of birds but haven't got a chance to see how they will come around yet as they are only about 3-4 weeks old, still a long time off, for those of you that have bought eggs from me these are not crossed with anything & I only breed my best to my best, I have 7 hens & 2 roosters & would not sale anything I would not keep for myself, I still think Julie & Joy have done a great job getting these birds in here & sharing them as they have, Thanks gals !!!! Oh & one more thing, I will not be selling any more eggs after this year from my small flock, It is to hard to please folks when I cant control how & when a bird lays, there is no way every bird is SQ. that hatches, I have raised several out of my flock & have produced a few that are of that caliber, so cull hard !!!

Roger you have amazing birds. Your hard work really shows with them. I love seeing their pictures that you post. Keep up the good work!!

Back
Top Bottom