The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

My, what lovely pics today thank-you to everyone that shared:)

Ok, I have a question for all you GL folks out there.....I've read that blacks are added to improve type. What's to be done to improve the sharpness of the lacing? Does it get sloppy from generation to generation or if for example, I choose a pair with good, Sharp lacing...breed them, and then keep only the chicks with the best lacing to breed back to the parents will that work?

Ok, I have a question for all you GL folks out there.....I've read that blacks are added to improve type. What's to be done to improve the sharpness of the lacing? Does it get sloppy from generation to generation or if for example, I choose a pair with good, Sharp lacing...breed them, and then keep only the chicks with the best lacing to breed back to the parents will that work?

I am only able to comment on part of your question. Out crossing to black to improve type is only a good solution IF the black has better type. Don't assume that all blacks have great type. Some do, some don't.

Hopefully others that have been working on improving lacing will be able to answer your questions.

BTW, I am very excited that you have an interest in the GL variety and most importantly, that you have an interest in improving the variety. The GL will not survive it's current popularity without those that are willing to work with them...and believe me, there is much work to be done.

gig.gif
That pig is stopping the rabbit escaping. It's is heavy enough to stop him pushing the top off.

Every time I look at that picture, the pig (and the spade), annoys me, lol!

And thank you
hugs.gif

Ah, mystery solved. Believe me, most wouldn't even notice since there are such pretty girls in the foreground.

Here I was thinking "he". I never get the gender right. I love the name. How old is he/she?

Deek you were right! Its a boy.
And thank you very much. I chose his name after my uncles dog that went missing a few years ago. So I figured when I show my family pictures, there is Oreo! Lol

And he is 4 months old on the 30th. Hes Huge!! Somewhere around 7lbs i believe. Ill have to weight him and post it.

Ooooo, don't quote me on that, I was still in typing hen-mode.
I think, looking at saddle & tail feathers, it is indeed a handsome boy x

Thanks Rachy, Yes a lovely young rooster.
I was thinking He, too. Look at those saddle feathers with that gorgeous green sheen already!

His green sheen is really marvelous! Im really anxious to see him grow up.

If you choose a pair with good Lacing, theoretically yes the chicks will come out with good lacing. But you do have to minimize the amount of shafting in the feathers and that seems to be one thing really good laced birds posses in the beginning generations.
It just takes time and selection really. But you can produce a line of very sharply laced birds with minimal shafting almost to the point where you have to blow up a picture to see it.

It just takes time and selection really. But you can produce a line of very sharply laced birds with minimal shafting almost to the point where you have to blow up a picture to see it.
I hope that proves to be true.
big_smile.png

However, you can spend hours, and hours, and hours, looking at pictures outside of the US and never find a single hen that is not shafted. I've looked in what seems like -everywhere. And if you find one with minimal shafting, you can blow up the picture and see that it has been altered.
hit.gif

It will be fun trying though.

If anyone ever finds a GL hen without shafting, please get permission to post the picture or PM me the link. It would be like winning the lottery.

Quote:
I hope that proves to be true.
big_smile.png

However, you can spend hours, and hours, and hours, looking at pictures outside of the US and never find a single hen that is not shafted. I've looked in what seems like -everywhere. And if you find one with minimal shafting, you can blow up the picture and see that it has been altered.
hit.gif

It will be fun trying though.

If anyone ever finds a GL hen without shafting, please get permission to post the picture or PM me the link. It would be like winning the lottery.
Me too please!!

I have not taken new pictures of the baby's. I moved them out of the house and they have so much room. They love it. A grow out pen all to themselves. They spent the afternoon yesterday running in and out.

Me too please!!

I have not taken new pictures of the baby's. I moved them out of the house and they have so much room. They love it. A grow out pen all to themselves. They spent the afternoon yesterday running in and out.
That's the best thing you can do for your babies. Move them out ASAP, and give them lots of room to exercise, and get into the sun.

Back
Top Bottom