The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

HI,
Hoping to get some feedback .
I have three English pullets. They are 14 weeks..............
At this time, they just hang with each other in my mixed layer flock.........The rooster, a blrw , just ignores them.
I would like to integrate them into my English flock but am worried the rooster may try to mate them and he is huge...........
What do you think.........would it be better to make another outside pen for them to be separated or would the English roo
leave them alone until they are laying and old enough to breed????????????
I feel stupid asking but I have not had this situation before and would not want to try it and find out I was wrong.
I'd never forgive myself if these girls were hurt from my ignorance.......................
Thank You in advance............
hu.gif

[COLOR=008080]HI,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]Hoping to get some feedback .[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]I have three English pullets. They are 14 weeks..............[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]At this time, they just hang with each other in my mixed layer flock.........The rooster,  a  blrw , just ignores them.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]I would like to integrate them into my English flock but am worried the rooster may try to mate them and he is huge...........[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]What do you think.........would it be better to make another outside pen for them to be separated or would the English roo[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]leave them alone until they are laying and old enough to breed????????????[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]I feel stupid asking but I have not had this situation before and would not want to try it and find out I was wrong.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]I'd never forgive myself if these girls were hurt from my ignorance.......................[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]Thank You in advance............:confused: [/COLOR]

I've never had a rooster try and mate a hen that was not close to laying. I think you will be fine integrating them.

Just calculated and my chicks have just now reached 12 weeks old. They have grown so fast I thought they were older. My EEs I had a few years back were this size full grown. Any way, here are some pictures of my largest cockerel. He is out digging in the compost pen with the girls. Out of the three cockerels I ended up with, 3 out of 14 chicks was a very nice ratio, he has the meatiest chest when you pet him. I know he is still a baby, but opinions are very welcome.

Last edited:
I do not usually post anything on BYC but I thought I would share with everyone what is occurring within my flock.

I purchased my flock from a breeder in May 2012 and they were sold as 100% Pure Black English Orpingtons. I have now started hatching from this flock and I have hatched several Mottled/Spangled chicks. Due to this it started me on a journey to investigate the background of my flock. That investigation determined the following:

· In approximately 2008-2009 the breeder that imported this line out crossed the American Mottled/Spangled Orpington into this line to create the Mottled/Spangle Orpington.

· The Pure English Mottled/Spangled Orpington was not imported into the United States until 2011.

Since I have proof that my line is not 100% Pure Black English Orpingtons (see picture of mottled chick) I am wondering about the background of the Black/Blue/Splash Pure English Orpingtons being advertised and sold at auction. I have also included pictures of the parent stock.

Not everyone has to import birds to create a color there are a many of us out there that know how to make these types of birds without importing.The main reason some of us do import birds is to help with genetic traits we want for colors and they may be unattainable here in the USA or to help speed the process along.Creating a new color is a very long and tedious process sometimes it is just better to pay for someone Else's work.THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOUR GETTING PERFECT BIRDS!!!!Your getting someone Else's work progress witch may be 3-5 years ahead of what you are doing.Whether a bird is born here in the USA or on another planet you can create a line to any standard.Your adult hens look English in the tail they have a nice horseshoe tail and the roos are not that bad looking.Like everyones flock they could use a little work i have yet to see a perfect bird.your roos look like they have some jubilee in them as i have a few splits here for various projects and they are very similar.

This bird is the same bird in both pictures and is 100% from imported lines,The hen is from joy's blacks she imported and the rooster was a jubilee.The crossing causes you to lose some type,but it is necessary in a case to expand the gene pool.We have made are own mottled birds and are own jubilee birds doing this type of selective breeding.So do not be discrediting i personally think you have a great starter flock now you just need to learn the breeding techniques to make them what you want.

The only way you can hatch a ton of chicks and breed the best ones back.The thing with the mottled birds is you can always get that in them since they originated from the jubilee genetic Even the ones that have been imported will throw that occasionally.all my chicks i have been hatching this year f3 have not been feathering in with any red leakage all the f1's and almost all the f'2 did some did not. its a funny thing they can go years and all of a sudden get a wild card in there.I have had quite a few with the f2's i hatched a great trio of red columbians out of them.nice black streaking in the neck and nice black end on the tails.these are the 2 pullets.

and i hatched a few of these in my tolbunt project that is a gold lacedxjubilee out of about 300 eggs i got a few of these golden transversed penciled.

here is a picture of her now.

and here is a golden mottled partridge orp

and some more of the columbians

You just half to hatch,hatch and hatch some more and let nature run its course. here are some pics of how the f3 mottled chicks are turning out they vary light to dark

some have the mottled beaks and feet and are darker like this pic,soe have ore yellow and very little black or blue on them but they all feather in the same.

can someone who is raising the jubilee and or whites please help me out with some genetics? I do not know anything about them but bought some eggs, going to be a very bad hatch but maybe a couple jubilee will make it., if they are all same sex I am kind of in trouble and will end up having to buy some of opposite sex if I want to continue breeding them right? I only have BBS english birds, same for the white? email or pm if you want, I have been searching all over and there are just to many opinions on how you get jubilee or even breed it... painted @ wildblue.net without the spaces of course.

Back
Top Bottom