The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Those Should be Very Good Australorps ViVi. If you live on the east coast you often run into Whitneys Australorps. He is an Awesome Very nice Guy, You might see some of his Australorps at Boston.
They have very nice type. I'm just thankful that I have Jerry not to far away. I will have to look for him.

Last edited:
is this a english orpington? gotta find out his breed and he is like yours vebred.

age is aorund 5-6 mnths old in these pics
Yes your bird is a mix but lovely all the same :) There would not be an Orpington today as we know it if different breeds were not crossed. I am thankful for Mr Cook and his family who took it upon themselves to venture outside the box.

All information from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orpington_(chicken)

The original Black Orpington was bred by William Cook in 1886 by crossing Minorcas, Langshans and Plymouth Rocks to create a new hybrid bird. Cook selected a black bird that would exhibit well by hiding the dirt and soot of London.

I have never seen one before but I would think that they are bread for colour and laying ability. From that picture they are quite Orpington like in shape. With a couple more generations it could start to breed pure and a new colour of orps could come out of it.
Thank you Hon, for you nice compliment on the young ladies bird. Her bird does have great color and laying/table use, The variety was created as you stated in your post, It is sad that people become closed mineded and forget the history of how chickens were created, A person thinking beyond his comfort zone help save the American line of Buffs. '
Vivi

Yes your bird is a mix but lovely all the same :)    There would not be an Orpington today as we know it if different breeds were not crossed.  I am thankful for Mr Cook and his family who took it upon themselves to venture outside the box. 

The original Black Orpington was bred by William Cook in 1886 by crossing Minorcas, Langshans and Plymouth Rocks to create a new hybrid bird. Cook selected a black bird that would exhibit well by hiding the dirt and soot of London.
This is true, but there's a huge difference in a skilled breeder with a solid goal in mind coming up with a new breed and a bunch of folks diluting an existing breed willy nilly. Mr. Cook didn't name his creation an English Rock or anything like that, he called it something completely new.

He is very handsome, I'd keep him!
I agree. I use to get request for this cross all the time. They handle the heat better here in Texas where Temp get over 100 plus then really heavy birds. Thus people like these birds because of this factor.

I keep the weight down on my English to keep them from dying from heat stroke. Even tho mine have some of the best facilities around according to Dick Richardson my NPIP test that covers 21 counties in Texas.

Vivi

Thank you Hon, for you nice compliment on the young ladies bird. Her bird does have great color and laying/table use, The variety was created as you stated in your post, It is sad that people become closed mineded and forget the history of how chickens were created, A person thinking beyond his comfort zone help save the American line of Buffs. '
Vivi
American Buff Orps are not in danger, except from indiscriminate crossing to other breeds. Enough of that went on in the war years. The only logical cross is back to the English Orp, as I did, and which you and Renie copied, due to the results. TYPE, which this bird does not have, makes the BREED. Many mutt birds are pretty colors.

Last edited:
Yes your bird is a mix but lovely all the same :) There would not be an Orpington today as we know it if different breeds were not crossed. I am thankful for Mr Cook and his family who took it upon themselves to venture outside the box.

Aaisha

You can just enjoy your birds unless you decide to create a new variety of Orpington... It is a lot of hard work and expense but if you going to do it.. then do it right :) The United Orpington Club Of America has many experienced breeder members that are willing to share their knowledge with you. Here is the address: www.unitedorpingtonclub.com Or you may decide to go in a different direction all together...in any case... good luck to you and most of all.... love your chickens :)

I agree. I use to get request for this cross all the time. They handle the heat better here in Texas where Temp get over 100 plus then really heavy birds. Thus people like these birds because of this factor.

I keep the weight down on my English to keep them from dying from heat stroke. Even tho mine have some of the best facilities around according to Dick Richardson my NPIP test that covers 21 counties in Texas.

Vivi

So you would condone crossing two very different type birds to make a hybrid and then call it an Orp? We are talking about a huge difference in type here and quoting people that don't know chickens well to support your position is irresponsible. The real reason folks do this is to sell their mistakes........that's all it is. I'm going to be one of the last people who forget how breeds were made, but again if you don't care about the breed I'm not the Orp police......make all the mongrels you want, just don't act like you care about Orpingtons.

If you have to cross Orps at least use a bird that looks similar.....like a Rock....using a bird that looks like a brick is a very bad choice....calling it an Orp makes it even worse.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom